PM750 Blows Fuse

PatA

Recently acquired a PM750 amp that blows the fuse immediately on power up. I've done what seems obvious to me, checked wiring along the switch/ power path. I can't find anything obvious, (damaged wiring, etc.). Is there a known issue with this?
I actually got the whole system:
PM750 Amp
ST530 Tuner
SD530 Cassette Deck
TT530 Turntable
RC430 Remote Control and the hand held
The slide out tray that holds the hand held unit is gone, but I scored it all for $20.00 at an estate sale. Just hope I'll be able to do something with the amp.
Thanks

The most common cause of this is shorted audio output transistors.

Occasionally, a rectifier bridge will short -- this is the second most common fuse-blowing failure.

Fred Longworth

PatA said:
Recently acquired a PM750 amp that blows the fuse immediately on power up. I've done what seems obvious to me, checked wiring along the switch/ power path. I can't find anything obvious, (damaged wiring, etc.). Is there a known issue with this?
I actually got the whole system:
PM750 Amp
ST530 Tuner
SD530 Cassette Deck
TT530 Turntable
RC430 Remote Control and the hand held
The slide out tray that holds the hand held unit is gone, but I scored it all for $20.00 at an estate sale. Just hope I'll be able to do something with the amp.
Thanks

I used to have that entire system, but the quality just didn't impress me so I sold it all. Not bad for $20.00, though!! They probably dumped it because the heart of the system, the amp, is damaged and the cost of repairs probably exceeds the value.

Frankly speaking, there's almost no interest in 80's Marantz and much of it is pretty junky, although there are some nice pieces, and of course, the Esotecs! I might be the only AK member who collects this stuff. That's why I know about it. Also, my friend was the Manager for Product Development at Marantz at the time and we joke about all the cost-cutting moves that had to be made just the keep the brand alive! I collect the 80's Marantz peices he designed and he's souped one of them up for me by updating the original design with modern parts. VERY COOL!!! (The Super Marantz SR8100DC).

But, if you really like what you've found I sure hope you can fix it. If you PM, I can be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom