Polishing JBL 044 Aluminum Tweeters?

absolve2525

Can anyone recommend a good way to polish these things? The aluminum just gets all spotted. I may just paint them black, like the later 044ti. Thanks!!

Maybe some very gentle use of swabs and alcohol. If that doesn't work, maybe a fine polish on a foam swab.

Personally, I wouldn't touch them at all if they sound right.

Neverdull works great, I have also used a variety of polish to clean them up before. Some folks like to use a small Dremel and some polishing compound to clean things up. I have had great luck on my own set of 75's.

Sweet! What do you use to apply and remove the marine aluminum polish? Would paper towels suffice? Thanks for the tips, guys!

It's going to take a lot of polishing to remove stained corrosion off aluminum. I have never had any luck with just polish with it until I stepped up the RPMs and the abrasive material I was using and then followed up with a polishing.. you ultimately end up changing the appearance of the metal forever -- hopefully you end up doing it favorably.

The best thing would probably be a vibrating polishing tumbler but it may not be cost effective.

I like Happich's SemiChrome for polishing -- found at motorcycle stores and online, it's German and it smells somewhat strong so you know its good stuff.

Brushed aluminum is just difficult to restore once its stained.

I would try to mount them on a spinning plate of some sort, like a motorized lazy Susan or potter's wheel, then use Blue Magic (or another AL cleaner or polish) and a soft cloth to polish them circumferentially, avoiding any contact with the diaphragms.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the actual domes, I would not touch them. The aluminum is vapor deposited and is a very thin layer. You could possibly rub it off the phenolic/linen dome. If you are talking about the facing plate, try sx-70's suggestion.

Larry

Last edited:
Don't worry! I'm just polishing the tweefer front, not the actual dome. I bought some Blue Magic, available at the local auto parts shop, as recommended above. I applied with q-tips and some cheap cut up sponges. As I applied, it immediately turned black. Then I used some old cotton t-shirts to polish in a circular motion going around the face. More and black gunk wiped off as I polished. After lots of polishing, the results are good! Muuuuch better. Nice shine and the spots aren't nearly as noticeabe, especially from the listening position. They were pretty dismal looking, and now looking good! I'll have to take a few pics. Thanks guys! :banana:

Back
Top Bottom