Polishing out Meter Lens

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Crang, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Crang

Crang Active Member

I was surprised I couldnt find a single post on this anywhere in the internet.

I am chipping away getting my MC2205 back up and running. Have some distortion and low output on one channel - through the headphone jack as well. Everything has been deoxit-ed and lubed. Meter works. Guess that means the driver board so going to check the pin connections next. Anyway- back on subject...

One thing I want to do while its apart is change the lighting to LEDs and fix the meter lenses which have become wavy and distorted. I assume from years of heat generated by the incandescent bulbs. I havent pulled the meters yet but assume its not terribly difficult to do and get the lens covers off. If there any tricks to it certainly would appreciate hearing them.

Will polishing the inside of the covers with headlight polish be the way to go? Has anyone done this? I have used it many times to polish out the swirls and scratches in turntable dust covers, so hopefully it will work here.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

Best homework would be to study Gregory's posts on Mc2205 meters from a few years ago.....many pictures of the possible quagmire you could get into.....

Patience and more patience will be a virtue.

3. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

4. Crang

Crang Active Member

Somehow I had missed that- thanks will take a look! They are pretty wavy and distorted so hopefully it can be accomplished.

Just redid all the solder joints for the pins on both boards. While some didnt look so hot it didnt fix anything. I was not happy to see one driver board was scorched and a few components repaired around it previously. I swapped driver boards and the distortion did not follow the board- stayed on the left side. However- before I could plug in headphones to check on that the non-scorched board started to smoke a tiny bit when moved to the side that had gotten the other one. Shut it down- switched them back and turned it on briefly. No smoke just distortion in the same channel.

Think I am in over my head on this one. Not sure if I should take it to a pro or not. I love this amp and really dont want to make a mess of it.