Polk 10's - No Crossover?

krazybones

Need some help with some very early Polk Monitor 10's (not A's or B's - no suffix)

These are my fathers original speakers from way back when (78 he thinks) and are all original except no Crossovers (He does not know what happened to them). The early 10's do not have the "Cupped" Style crossover that you can take out and access from the back. You could get to them by taking out the Passive Radiator and mounted on the side wall. Cabs are a little rough, but has the original Peerless tweets and woofers.

Anyway my question is where can I get a decent crossover for them? I am not savvy enough to just build my own.

I checked with the guy on ebay that builds and upgrades all Polk Crossovers but he want crazy money.
Does Parts Express or anyone have an off the shelf crossover that would be a great fit without breaking the bank?

I want to give these to my Daughter if I can bring them back to life.
Thanks

I will get in touch with a friend of mine whom has Done many on the polks as that is his main focus. I have a pair of later model 10 series 2s but not sure as what's different. I also have another friend who builds custom upgrades available also. I get your thing on cost as components used drive costs up quickly. I also will ask about off the shelf crossovers as I do know on occasion that my friend has used them for a quick and easy flip situation with good results. Please read into this he has used them on lessor speakers built with little network as many are by companys current cost "savings" It makes a huge difference in costs and for some tone quality between caps. You didn't mention what bucket constraint you are hoping to stay within and that would be a factor. I think if you contact any of the suppliers that they should have a rebuilt board that is lower priced than a full build. Lowest will be a good used pair. I dont know how to document that.

Last edited:
And yep I know about the crazy money. I have a pair of SDA2Bs that need.done and I also checked and found sure for the price of a cheap used car that he would be happy to help me out. Luckily for me my one friend whom is a poll guy will do so for me but we are.in a bit of a head but over parts. He would use what he has and I would prefer to go with the soniccaps. Alas it still is a matter of $. Good luck and if you would like for me to inquire let me know. Regards, Nemo

Nemo - That would be great... Thank you

There looks to be a fuse mounted there on the back at one time.

I found this online and they are identical to these.
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174477/early-1st-version-monitor-10-crossover-upgrade
I am assuming the original crossovers were also like the ones posted in that thread. They have to be very early model. Not like any other's i see normally with the mass produced Cupped Back In cert x-Overs the Ebay guy has. I really dont want to cut the back of the cabs if I dont have to?

Cost well... I was hoping to hover around the $100 mark if possible... If I am crazy then I am open to hear a good quote...

Thanks again

Sorry guess I am not understanding the cryptic loss of words?

Am I not explaining what I am looking for?
Am I being silly by not wanting to break the bank on these?

My Dad said one of his co-workers was going to upgrade the crossovers for him back in the 90's and well he never got them back from the guy. Dont know the whole story, but what I do know is I have a nice Pair of Polk 10's that would currently serve best as end tables than they would as sweet vintage speakers... LOL

I thought it would be cool to pass them to a 3rd generation of the family.

Sorry guess I am not understanding the cryptic loss of words?

Am I not explaining what I am looking for?
Am I being silly by not wanting to break the bank on these?

My Dad said one of his co-workers was going to upgrade the crossovers for him back in the 90's and well he never got them back from the guy. Dont know the whole story, but what I do know is I have a nice Pair of Polk 10's that would currently serve best as end tables than they would as sweet vintage speakers... LOL

I thought it would be cool to pass them to a 3rd generation of the family.
Your best bet to find some crossovers (you want original first model ones) is to keep watching for someone to be selling a pair from parted out speakers or someone who built complete replacement upgraded crossovers and held on to the originals. The chances of success with off the shelf generic crossovers are #1 absolutely nil and #2 even worse. :(
You could have some made to original specifications using cheaper parts, it would be less expensive than making them with high quality (i.e. better) parts.

I think that F1Nut and I were a bit flummoxed at the idea that someone would separate the speakers from their crossovers but per your explanation I can see how that could happen.:)

Last edited:
I talked to my friend and he said to let you know there is a pair on the auction are that shall remain nameless right now..a thought anyway.

Yep the fact that that was the case was the same what response I got from my buddy but one way or the other they should live. I lucked out in the not to distant past and was given a nice set of 10s nice speakers for sure.

If you don't end up with an original pair, question is where to find a schematic and parts values to build one. I haven't worked on Polks, where do you find that stuff?

Ok update as to crossovers.
You cane use the later crossover in that the only difference is the fuse in the early 10's was replaced with the safety guard self reset POS. And the series resister reduced from 2.5 ohms to 2 ohms to accommodate the aforementioned POS. Otherwise identical. It would be wise to have the drivers validated befor spending any money though. Never heard of any one pulling the X/O out of perfectly good speakers...so that what I found out thanks to one much higher on the food chain than I!
Regards, Nemo

That crossover should be fairly simple, I would imagine someone here woukd be willing to build one for a reasonable fee, or the community would be willing to help you do the same.

Crossovers for Monitor 10’s are commonly available eBay. It does not matter which crossover you get, the only difference between the “A”, and “B” crossover is a fuse (A) and Polyfuse (B) and a different value R2 resistor. There is Monitor 10 Series 2 but you hardly ever see this speaker much less parts for them.

Just set a watch. There is a single “B” model crossover available right now. $39.99. You can often pick up a pair for that price. The seller thinks it is out of an SDA speaker.:rflmao:

Last edited:
I resently finish rebuilding a set of crossovers for my 10B’s. I went hog wild this time but ended up actually spending less money than the first set. I am extremely impressed with the Mundorf M-Cap EVO’s. They cost much less the the Sonicaps I used on the originals. Because of their size I had to use a daughter board. I used Mundorf E-Caps NPE’s planes on my Wharfedale W35’s very impressed with them. I am very curious how a Monitor 10 would sound like with a set. It would cost less than $15 Dollars to find out.

I have a friend whom has done several monitor 10' from one extreme condo stack of money to the most basic with chinese caps as thats what the guy wanted. I only can say what he has. I will admit that we are older and surly can't hear as well as the current folks whom are picking up a lifestyle choice of old...He swears that altho the set he went all out on sounds no different than the one done low budget. I did see what was in his monitor 10 (early set) and it was a triple deck affair very impressive feat to put all that where the original polk offering had resided but an entire muti foor set up. I have a pair of the polk monitor 10 series 2. I was gifted these from a gentleman whom I had never met prior to them being handed to me.
My monitors had been used for a short while when new and were apparently put into storage and forgotton for 20 years +_ I am an early polk fan with my first polk awakening a set of tossed sda2d's but tossed to me along with a factory interconnect. my monitors are amazing and also in need of nothing to perform as specs call for. I can say I only can hear subtle differences and think its the peerless tweets he prefers as opposed to the updated polk tweets in mine. They both are incredibly accurate and quite easy to listen to for long periods. I soon will be capping my sda2bs. I will not be using daytons but the difference being? I can only go by first hand listening experience. It may well be the only difference will be I spent more than needed.
I can say it won't need to be done again and if so I won't be the one to decide that round.
So there you see. There are a few of the series 2s out there. I won't need to keep them for a long time. I do plan to keep them for as long as I need them for a good time..
Nemo

"I started out with nothing and out with nothing and still have most of it left"o_O

Back
Top Bottom