Polk Audio Monitor 7 Series 2 vs. JBL L100 Century's

northernLP88

Hey all,

I was surfing around on CL and found some speakers nearby me. The first pair are some Polk Audio Monitor 7 Series 2 speakers w/ SL-2000 Silver Coil Dome tweeters and re-built crossovers. The ad states they are in mint condition.

The second is a pair of JBL L100 Century's. The add states that they sound amazing with no distortion and are in excellent condition w/ only minor wear (small scratches) on the cabinets.

The receiver I have to push these is a Pioneer SX-1050.

I understand that "which is better" is different to everybody's ears...but I'm looking for some opinions.

Which ones would you choose?! :scratch2: :music:

Can't wait to see your responses.

Saw this ad. You and I are close. I'm in TC. I have a pair of Polk 7A's with the Peerless tweets. Your more than welcome to audition them for a bit if you would like, I'm sure we can workout taking them on lone. Cabs are ruff. I am not trying to sell them to you, no worries there. Just a welcome to AK. Their recapped also. PM me.

I am not a big fan of the Polks, many are. They shine on jazz and simple vocals. They struggle greatly with complex arrangements. Narrow sweet spot. Not much of a contest in my book. But like I said many disagree with me and they do have beautiful overall tone.

Last edited:
Overall, JBL is a better product over the vintage Polks... JBL had cast driver frames, Polks were stamped steel.

Get both. The L 100's are an icon, everyone should have a set. They get more valuable everyday, so there's that. I have several sets of Polk's, but haven't heard the 7's,so I can't say. Polk's are different, but I like mine.

I would get the JBL's. Nothing against the Monitor 7's, but I would wait until a pair with Peerless tweeters come up on the market.

Very different sounds from them.
One is sealed cabinet while other one is ported.
I had L100T that are supposedly much better than L100.
They were in another league from Polk 7's but not sure how 7's compare with the smaller sized L100's.
I've had both peerless and sl-2000 monitor 7's and I actually prefer sl-2000.
I sold peerless ones and still have a pair with sl-2000.
Value wise, L100's go for 4x the polk 7's.

Back
Top Bottom