Jaocb

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers a little bit from my current "ok" but cheap Technics sb 2665 speakers to something a bit nicer. I'm currently trying to decide between a pair of Polk Monitor 7b's or a pair of Polk Monitor 10a's, both are similarly priced and appear to be in good working condition. I've read up on both of them and they appear to be decently regarded speakers. But I'm not able to find a clear consensus on which one is better or even if there is a better one. If it matters these speakers are going to be powered by either an Onkyo Tx4500mkII or a Marantz 2238. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

You will probably like the 10a better at least because it has a much better tweeter (Peerless) than the 7b (edit: unless it has the Peerless too - my mistake). It is also a larger speaker that can go lower more easily. Some say the drawback with Monitor 10 is lack of imaging from side-by-side midwoofers (there are certain ways around that).

You will like either, though. I've had both and liked them both. However the 10a, when rebuilt with new crossover components and other mods we can talk about, was in an entirely different league. You can also opt for upgraded tweeters from Polk for the 7bs, although pricey they also sound phenomenal.

Last edited:
I thought that the 7b's had either Peerless or SL-1000's. If they have the Peerless then I think it's a trade off between imaging and bass. If the 7b's have the SL-1000's, then go for the 10a's.

I have a pair of 7s with the sl2000 tweeter. I also have a Marantz 2238 ironically. The monitor 7s sound good with all my recievers. None better than the 2238 though. They really pair nice together. Even power wise. One of my favorite combos. People speak higher of the peerless tweet or the rdo 194, but I like the 2000 just fine. Never felt a need to upgrade. I hAve never heard 10s so I can't speak to those. I would also wonder if the 2238 would have enough power for the 10s. Don't think you could go wrong either way. Really nice sounding speakers.

The 7B with the Peerless tweeter is far better than any of the Monitor 10 versions as it's more coherent from top to bottom. The 10 suffers from comb filtering because of the side by side drivers as well as being a bit too bass heavy.

BTW, it's the 7C's that have the awful SL2000 tweeter.

From someone that owned both (several of each) the m7 is a far superior sounding speaker tighter bass and more detail in mid and high. The sl2000 issue is way overblown and can be upgraded to peerless or RDO 194 TWEETS FROM POLK if you ever want. The 10''s are very boomie and lack detail and need a lot of power to sound anywhere neer good. The m7''s are sought after by Polk enthusiasts as they are considered the "sweet spot" of the monitor line. That is until you get to the RTA 12'S. No thought needed get the 7's every time!!!

The 7B with the Peerless tweeter is far better than any of the Monitor 10 versions as it's more coherent from top to bottom. The 10 suffers from comb filtering because of the side by side drivers as well as being a bit too bass heavy.

BTW, it's the 7C's that have the awful SL2000 tweeter.
What he said.

I upgraded my RTA12C to the 194 just because. Never had an issue in the 7''s I had the c version.

If the sl 2000 is awful then I love awfull sounding tweeters. Send them all to me. Just like everyone says, let your ears be the judge.

If you enjoy a 5dB spike in the 12 to 13kHz range then I can understand why you might like the SL2000. It might also indicate a hearing issue if you cannot hear it.

Back in the late 80's Polk did something about the SL2000 spike issue and came out with the SL3000 for the last SDA generation. Years down the road spending good time and money they came out with the RD0194 tweeter, a direct replacement for the SL2000. It is vastly superior.

I threw the SL2000's I had in the trash.

I have severe tinnitus and some HF hearing loss from my military days. I guess that explains it. In my case anyway.

If the sl 2000 is awful then I love awfull sounding tweeters. Send them all to me. Just like everyone says, let your ears be the judge.
I'll be happy to send them your way, that is as soon as the check clears of course.:D

I suggest the 7s due to your amp options. I've had both and within their ratings and the amps you have, the 7s will sound better. If you go with the 10s, feed them lots of power and everything will become magic.

I own speakers with more accurate tweeters. The sl2000s to me are just a little crisp. With my more laid back recievers such as the 2238 it is not bothersome to me at all. Im just saying I would hate to see the op miss out on some affordable nice sounding speakers because some people do not like them. Can just enjoy them as is until you feel the need to upgrade the tweets. I have not felt the need to yet. These speakers impress me almost every time I listen to them.

I was running monitor 7c with a tube amp and I thought that the highs sounded fine? Tubiness probably helps calm them maybe??

I own speakers with more accurate tweeters. The sl2000s to me are just a little crisp. With my more laid back recievers such as the 2238 it is not bothersome to me at all. Im just saying I would hate to see the op miss out on some affordable nice sounding speakers because some people do not like them. Can just enjoy them as is until you feel the need to upgrade the tweets. I have not felt the need to yet. These speakers impress me almost every time I listen to them.
If you made a little effort to try the modifications and replace the tweeters they would impress you each and every time you listen to them.:cool:

Last edited:
I was running monitor 7c with a tube amp and I thought that the highs sounded fine? Tubiness probably helps calm them maybe??
Depending on the specific tube amp, maybe, but likely the tube amp hi-frequency roll-off is above the range where the 5dB spike resides.

If you made a little effort to try the modifications and replace the tweeters they would impress you each and every time you listen to them.:cool:
The cost of the tweets is more than I paid for the speakers. Effort is not a problem for me thx.

Back
Top Bottom