Polk Audio SDA-2

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by kydog, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Rex81

Rex81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Why is that?

2. onepixel

onepixel .

I like tight bass.

3. Rex81

All the bass in every SDA I've heard was plenty tight. Maybe not overly tight, but natural, musical, and low distortion. That passive is a real wonder if you ask me.

Now, I have heard loose bass on SDAs, but that was when they were hooked up to a receiver that wasn't giving them enough current.

bigx5murf and darkblue94 like this.
  4. onepixel

onepixel .

It didn't cut it for me when I listened to jazz with an upright bass. I had some M10s and 5JRs too.

I'm not dissing Polks. They are fine speakers and I like them. I've gone through dozens of vintage and new speakers. It's made me picky and I know what I like.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    darkblue94 likes this.
  5. Gerres26

Gerres26 AK Subscriber Subscriber

No disrespect to the vintage monitor series, as I've enjoyed the ones I owned in the past, but the SDA line is quite a step above them. Especially in the bass department.

6. onepixel

onepixel .

I couldn't tell between my SDA-2s and M10s.

7. Gerres26

Gerres26 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hmm, i could tell a difference each time i stepped up from the monitor series, to the SDA 2b, to the SDA 1c then finally to my 1.2tls. Although i will be honest, im not much of a jazz guy so our preferences may be different. Just curious, what speakers did you find you prefer in the bass department?

8. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Well-Known Member

I don't really like my SDA-2b, but the bass was what I liked most about them. It was very placement sensitive though, placed just the right distance from the wall it was glorious. Shift it too far from the wall by a couple of inches, and the bass pretty much disappears.

9. Rex81

I love jazz and I think the SDAs are excellent jazz speakers because they’re so tonally balanced.

Agree, they need to be less than a foot from the back wall to make enough bass. Also, adding spikes helps tighten up the bass, although again, I found it plenty right to begin with.

Also agree that going from The Monitor series to the SDA series is a huge step in sound quality and bass quantity.

Bass complaints with SDAs usually comes down to poor placement, inadequate current, or an air leak.

darkblue94 likes this.
  10. onepixel

onepixel .

For floor standers, I like the Theil 04a, CS1.2 and CS2 2. The CS 2 2 is a 3-way and has a passive radiator. The combination sounds way better than the SDA-2's.

I can clearly hear the individual bass notes, string twang and vibrations on good live stand up bass, jazz recordings.

I'm not complaining, placement and room acoustic are near optimal and I have plenty of power.

11. Rex81

I haven't had the chance to hear any Theil's, but now I think I need to. :)