Polk Monitor 10A Issues Could Use Some Help.

racfan9

Hey Everyone...Picked up a pair of Monitor 10a's last week for $40 at one of our local flea markets unfortunately 3 of the 4 MW6500 are bad(shifting magnet syndrome) anyway I thought I'd be able to pick up some replacements on the bay but there hasn't really been anything out there. So for all you Polk experts out there is there any descent 6.5 mid bass non Bose drivers available out there that would match up well with the Monitor 10's? Any help will definitely be appreciated .

Thanks,
racfan9

Try contacting Polk. They still stock parts for most of the vintage models. They prefer you call at 1800 377 7655.

Alternatively, there are guides on how to unfreeze the magnets yourself.

Great speakers, by the way. I've owned Monitor 10s and 3 other pairs of vintage Polks (including SDA-2s).

Hey Everyone...Picked up a pair of Monitor 10a's last week for $40 at one of our local flea markets unfortunately 3 of the 4 MW6500 are bad(shifting magnet syndrome) anyway I thought I'd be able to pick up some replacements on the bay but there hasn't really been anything out there. So for all you Polk experts out there is there any descent 6.5 mid bass non Bose drivers available out there that would match up well with the Monitor 10's? Any help will definitely be appreciated .

Thanks,
racfan9

There are two MW6500's for sale on eBay right now. Polk no longer stocks that model, so buying used is the only way to get them.

F1nut...I found one of the 6500's and one other but it was in two pieces,(magnet had separated from the basket). Are these the ones you were referring to?

Hi Rac,

I too have a pair of Polk 10 (Series ll) Monitors that I quite enjoy. I only recently learned (from a Tech who happens to own a pair of 10's) of the Polk situation regarding the Magnets coming loose/shifting due to Glue failure. Once home, I pulled all four drivers and they "appeared" to look/be normal. Per the Tech, I purchased some JB Weld and re-glued all the Magnets/Basket contact areas. So far, all Drivers seems to be working just fine. I'm not sure if it's too late in your situation regarding the drivers, that is to say, if they already have come apart......uggggh.
Best of luck getting your 10 Monitors back up and running.
Let us know how you make out.

Regards,
SixCats!

Thanks @drbiggles - yeah I do free magnet re-centering if you wanted to send them to me. As does another gentleman over on the Polk boards. Have done many a MW6500. I'd highly suggest using the right drivers whether you save those or find replacement MW6500s! If I had any spares left I'd offer to trade you for your shifted ones, but it's low tide for MW6500s over here. I've been listening to my own Monitor 10 (v2 w/ RD0198s) for the last few weeks.

Thanks @drbiggles - yeah I do free magnet re-centering if you wanted to send them to me. As does another gentleman over on the Polk boards. Have done many a MW6500. I'd highly suggest using the right drivers whether you save those or find replacement MW6500s! If I had any spares left I'd offer to trade you for your shifted ones, but it's low tide for MW6500s over here. I've been listening to my own Monitor 10 (v2 w/ RD0198s) for the last few weeks.
you should take Johnny_Law up on his offer , they are really easy to fix , making the jig and figuring out how to use it is what takes time1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Back
Top Bottom