Polk RTi70 & RTi38 powered by Pioneer Spec 1, Spec 4 amps?

Turbota

Polk RTi70 & RTi38 powered by Pioneer Spec 1 & Spec 4 amps > ok?

I have sold, or I really should say; Gave away my Pioneer HMP 1500s to a friend. Anyway, I now have a vintage Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp and a Pioneer Spec 4 power-amp (150w per channel).

I need a new set of 4 speakers. I really don't want to spend a fortune on these, so I am trying to keep the price within reason.

The Polk RTi70 Tower speakers along with the Polk RTi38 Bookshelf speakers seem to be pretty nice. Real cherry wood and all. I know looks arent everything, so, I would like to get your honest opinion on these. (I'm no expert)

rti70.jpg

Polk RTi70, $600 per pair (front speakers)

Mid/Woofer 2 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Dynamic Balance drivers, shielded
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
Dynamic Balance® silk/polymer composite dome, shielded
Overall Frequency Response 28Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 40Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-250 w/channel
Efficiency 90 dB
Crossover 2.1kHz between mid-bass drivers and tweeter; 2nd order HP/LP complement. Mylar bypass capacitor in HPF.
Inputs Dual bi-amp 5-way binding posts

rti38.jpg

Polk RTi38, $250 per pair (rear speakers mounted on stands)

Mid/Woofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Dynamic Balance driver, shielded
Dynamic Balance® silk/polymer composite dome, shielded
Overall Frequency Response 38Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 49Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-150 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB
Crossover 2.2kHz between mid-bass drivers and tweeter; 2nd order HP/LP complement
Inputs 5-way binding posts

Thanks, :)
Ron

Last edited:
Hey Turbota, the Polks are quite good. However, the pricing is a little weird. Up here in Canada, the same product is 30% cheaper at retail.:eek:

If you'd like another alternative, and if I can shamelessly plug a product I truly believe in, StudioLAB makes a similar product that sounds WORLDS better for about the same money. Check out the DS5.3 (front tower), and DS5.1 (rear bookshelf) at the OZ website.

But, if you gotta have wood, then the Polk's should work out fine.;)

Last edited:
Since I am not buying a powered sub-woofer, wonder if the speaker shown below (RTi100) would be a better choice for the fronts. They appear to have there own powered subs: The TRi70 above has no internal amp.

Polk RTi100

Driver Complement:
Subwoofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Dynamic Balance® bass driver, shielded
Mid/Woofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Dynamic Balance® driver, shielded
Dynamic Balance silk/polymer composite dome, shielded

Built-in Power Amplifier Specs:
Power Output 35 watts Continuous Average Output
Dynamic Power Output 80 watts
Available in 220V? Yes

Electrical:
Overall Frequency Response 25Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 36Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-250 w/channel
Efficiency 90 dB
Crossover
(mid-high array) 2.16kHz between mid-bass drivers and tweeter; 2nd order HP/LP complement.
Crossover
(subwoofer) Fixed 44Hz 2nd order Q=1.58 HP; Fixed 90Hz 2nd order LP response shaping
Inputs Dual 5-way binding posts (1 set for subwoofer input, 1 for mid/high array. One line-level (RCA) subwoofer input
Outputs Line-level subwoofer output RCA

rti100.jpg

IMHO, one should not buy any speaker with a built in sub. It causes problems in the cabinet which sacrifice overall performance and affect soundstage, imaging, accuracy, transients, and the list goes on. :(

The biggest factor of all is have youlistened to the Polks?

That should be the deciding factor, and it would be best if the dealer can offer home demo with your equipment.

omer ...

Sorry about the same basic post I have going on in the 'Vintage' section as I have going here right now, but someone thought I should really ask my speaker questions over here and keep the Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 4 amp questions there.

Anyway, I have never heard the Polk speakers. I am retiring from Fed Civil Service in about 6 weeks and then moving back to Phoenix, so right now, I don't have any of my equipment even hooked up. I am just trying to get an idea what I would like.

I just saw a couple of pics of those cherry wood Polks and liked the visual look. I would buy them if indeed they were a good sounding speaker. I was hoping maybe someone else here may have a set or heard a set. Flying helicopters has ruined my hearing so bad over a long period of time, that I really can't tell a [good] sounding speaker from an [excellent] sounding speaker.

Of course, if they not anything to write home about, I will look at something else.

Ron,

Well, color me green with eny, congrats on the retirement - in case I forget 6 weeks from now. ;)

The Polk's have always been a good product. So, bottom line if it fits the budget and you like the cosmeticsPersonally I tend to shy away from stuff that was once in speciality audio stores and now can be purchased at big box places. Names that come to mind other than Polk are Paradigm, Definitive Tech, JBL, Harmon Kardon, Bose, Celestion, Klipsch, KLH, etc, the list is endless.

Now, if the look is what is drawing you into this product, and your budget is about US$1000, then take a look at:

http://www.castle.uk.com/pages/about.htm

Castle (of England) makes FANTASTIC looking and sounding speakers. It's one of the few speakers that qualifies as furniture - according to my spouse.

Another one of my favorites (as mentioned in one of my other posts) is StudioLAB. They are based in Canada (Toronto to be exact) and are unbeatable for the money. You can get a GREAT sounding slim tower speaker for US$500 shipped in either black or birch, and the matching rears for US$220.

But, the choice of any speaker shouild be based on how they sound to you - can't say it enough. Even if you feel your hearing ain't what it used to be, you can still tell a cymbal from a bass drum, right?

So, once you move into Phoenix, trot down to the local Polk dealer with discs in hand, and give 'em a listen.

;)

Back
Top Bottom