Polk SL-2000 Silver Coil tweeters....is this just how they are?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left the SL2000 bottom tweeter in, the crossover limits it to somewhere in the 10-12K hz region. I forget the exact frequency but it's below the hump.

Hmmm.....those are two very different sounding tweeters regardless of frequency output. I'll leave it at that.

The SL2000 has a 5dB spike around 13kHz, which is painful to the ears of most people.

I have had about five or six audio peeps in my great room that never heard the 1.2's...... and have it cranked up to around 90-100 watts with the 2205....and not one person has left screaming. They were actually trying to get their jaws off the floor as I did when I first heard these great speakers. I have heard no shrillness at all and I am very sensitive to that. I had a pair of JBL 166's that I sold because of the brightness. These Polks are mint and came with the boxes....so I don't know....maybe the original owner changed them. Is there a difference to these tweeters that one can see just looking at them?

I have had about five or six audio peeps in my great room that never heard the 1.2's...... and have it cranked up to around 90-100 watts with the 2205....and not one person has left screaming. They were actually trying to get their jaws off the floor as I did when I first heard these great speakers. I have heard no shrillness at all and I am very sensitive to that. I had a pair of JBL 166's that I sold because of the brightness. These Polks are mint and came with the boxes....so I don't know....maybe the original owner changed them. Is there a difference to these tweeters that one can see just looking at them?

I think the sl2000 are a clear hard plastic dome, maybe yellow from age, and the replacements are black soft domes.

Julian Hirsch Labs in Stereo Review measured the resonance peak.
However that didn't ruin their glowing review of the "laid back" SDA-1c.
From the review comments, ".... the SDA-1c tends to have a slightly soft sound, completely free from shrillness or stridency."
YMMV
https://polksda.com/sda1creview.shtml

I'd still like any evidence the 2000 has this evil peak from any review of a Polk speaker with the 2000. Probably one of the most popular speaker lines and I have no recollection of it ever being discussed or measured when the speakers were sold and being reviewed. Ive never noticed it on the 10b and 7c I owned nor any of the dozens of others I've listened too. Any proof?

I'd still like any evidence the 2000 has this evil peak from any review of a Polk speaker with the 2000. Probably one of the most popular speaker lines and I have no recollection of it ever being discussed or measured when the speakers were sold and being reviewed. Ive never noticed it on the 10b and 7c I owned nor any of the dozens of others I've listened too. Any proof?
No proof, but luckily except on the best of recordings there's not much musical content @ 13khz, @14k" a sense of "air" which is nice.

I left the SL2000 bottom tweeter in, the crossover limits it to somewhere in the 10-12K hz region. I forget the exact frequency but it's below the hump.

Can you source any measurement of the hump by any entity during the production of speakers with the 2000 in it or any discussion of this "hump." I do recall that by the late 60' there were tools which could easily measure this certainly a 5 db jump above 10k. Probably millions of 2000's still keeping owners happy.

Can you source any measurement of the hump by any entity during the production of speakers with the 2000 in it or any discussion of this "hump." I do recall that by the late 60' there were tools which could easily measure this certainly a 5 db jump above 10k. Probably millions of 2000's still keeping owners happy.
Plenty of information available on the Polk Audio Forum. Folks there include the most knowledgeable experts on Polk matters including current and former high level employees. Careful though because your delusions are likely to be shattered. :)

Someone should do a thread on speaker mods.One person drilled a hole in the side of a B & W 801 and said it improved bass and then would plug it to show the difference.

Measured by a friend with two PhD.'s, one in Electrical Engineering and with the equipment to do so.

View attachment 1010123

I don't see any "spike", but do see a rise I the frequency slope.
Most likely engineered that way to compensate for the common loss of hearing in that frequency range that comes with age.

My suggestion would be to start with changing the capacitors in the crossover to something like a Mundorf or Solen poly and see if that helps.

Also take a look at the environment the speakers are working in, hardwood floors, low ceilings & large exposed windows are all very reflective and can make the highs seem harsh.

A SPIKE has a point as a result of a fast rise and fall, there is no SPIKE to speak of.

It is a very common, well known fact that a person's high frequency sensitivity falls off as we get older.

As neither you or I were present or included in the engineering of the speaker, who are you to say my assumption is absurd ?

A SPIKE has a point as a result of a fast rise and fall, there is no SPIKE to speak of.

It is a very common, well known fact that a person's high frequency sensitivity falls off as we get older.

As neither you or I were present or included in the engineering of the speaker, who are you to say my assumption is absurd ?

You can split hairs all you want, it's still a spike.

I know Matt Polk and the engineers that designed those tweeters. That's who I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom