Poll - Vintage Turntable Buy

Would you choose a Thorens TD 160 (1st Gen) or a "vintage" Rega Planar 3? (Condition & Price Equal)

• TD 160

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • Planar 3

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters

kws87

Have to make a choice pretty quick - I am very intrigued by both turntables. Pros and cons for each? Thanks!

Assuming Rega RB300 arm and stock arm on the Thorens, I think the Rega arm is better. Thorens is suspended table, so fussier to set up...and may need new suspension springs. Depending upon vintage, the Rega may "need" the motor upgrade (altho I did not find it to be a major improvement with my old Planar 3). What cartridges are on each of them? This might help sway me in one direction vs the other.

Thorens is better in good stock condition overall. And does not need so many upgrades to sound good and be stable speed wise. And Thorens can get arm upgrades if desired, and over the long haul the better option.

Just a quick comment...I think the Planar 3 sounds quite good in stock form. The motor upgrade is a better design, but in my case the original did a fine job (with the white belt). Yes, because it was such a popular table, there is a good aftermarket for upgrades...but to be clear, it is a formidable table in stock form...as is the Thorens.

I think you'll have better reliability with the Rega. There are some that I see with lots of hours and they still sound great. They all have the excellent RB300 arm. Rega cartridges are fine, but if you intend to do a lot of cartridge swapping, you may need a spacer to raise the arm height.

For me, there's no comparison. The Thorens would win every time.

One is a cheap, minimalist toy, the other a piece of fine engineering, built to perform and last.

Sorry to all you Rega fans. :)

Can't find basic specs for the Rega. If you search wow and flutter with google, seems some speed issues. Don't think that to be a good sign...........................

The Thorens TD-160 is pretty, by vintage turntable standards. But look at the underside, the drive system, and the tonearm. Fine engineering? Not really on board with that one. It’s pretty ordinary.

I would take the Planar 3, but I would install the Grovetracer sub platter upgrade if needed.

Regards
Mister Pig

Can't find basic specs for the Rega. If you search wow and flutter with google, seems some speed issues. Don't think that to be a good sign...........................

On the other hand, it's one of the most successful, popular turntables of all time...due in great part to its tonearm (an engineering masterpiece). That would seem to be a good sign.

Last edited:
To those who might want a Rega - I’d advise avoiding the forums if you’re looking for affirmation. Can’t find specs on it? That’s common knowledge. The Rega 3 series has been measured in the audio press many times. The Planar 3 Is probably the most forum-scrutinized turntable in existence. Its wow and flutter is in line with the competition. And most of them run slightly fast. I used to own a couple of 1970s belt-drive turntables. They ran slightly fast, too.

I cast a vote for the Planar 3, but only because I consider if more likely that the manufacturer can still support it with parts and service. Before making a purchase, I would call both manufacturers to see what's available should these decades-old 'tables need repair. I don't know what kind of great deals you have available on these two options, or what possibilities exist for auditioning them first, but if I wanted a lower-priced turntable, I know that I would consider comparing the quality of a current Planar 1 against the older Planar 3 (and Thorens) to see what kind of performance gap, if any exists, as well as weighing out the expected service life of a new 'table vs. ones that are so old.

On the other hand, it's one of the most successful, popular turntables of all time...due in great part to its tonearm (an engineering masterpiece). That would seem to be a good sign.

I do like their tonearms, they're well done but need a VTA adjustment.

The Rega 3 series has been measured in the audio press many times. The Planar 3 Is probably the most forum-scrutinized turntable in existence. Its wow and flutter is in line with the competition.

I couldn't find specs anywhere using Google search, measured or published or anything. Can you provide link please?

I appreciate seeing that review and the testing they did on those different turntables, but the Rega they tested was the P3-24, not the older Planar 3 that the OP is considering. The new motor introduced in the P3-24 is available as an upgrade for older models, and is "guaranteed to improve drive, speed stability, and sonic performance." This implies that the older model will likely not match the newer one's wow and flutter specs. One of the reasons I think a comparative audition between the older Planar 3 and a new Planar 1 might be interesting is because the new Planar 1 also now gets a low vibration 24 V motor (the prior RP1 and P1 did not have this more advanced design).

I'll pass your suggestion about the RB300 along to Roy if I run into him. Perhaps you and Mr Trei can school him a bit.

I have a TD-150 AB MKii. Very fine table. I am always suspicious of audio products that don't publish their specs for the world to see (Raga). They may have good and valid reasons for not doing so, and may very well be a very fine performer, but to me, I start to suspect that their claims of being top notch ring a bit false if they are not willing to publish how quiet (or noisy) they are or how stable their speed is.

Yes a Thorens is priced well into the realm of diminishing returns for what you get, but they do deliver the performance they claim and with the correct belt on it, will continue to do so for decades. (Mine was purchase new in 1974, that's going on 45 years now.)

Shelly_D

If you go with Rega, the Edwards Audio Little Blue belt is just as good as Rega's white and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom