Poly cone vs poly dome

mr_RBG

As I understand Infinity used poly dome mid drivers in RS speakers from '82-'86 era. So was it a step forward after poly cone before they moved to EMIN?

That's a matter of personal test, but for me, the answer is yes. I think the radiation pattern of the dome mids contributed to better imaging and soundstaging.

Yes, probably, and on music too. On some rock songs it seems that it is not enough mids(missing some guitar notes).

The cone mids tend to have a more punchy midrange that is more concentrated while the domes will have good dispersion but not the same forwardness.

I haven't heard EMIMs, so I can't comment on them, but in the cones v. domes, right now I prefer cones but that is just because I tend to like heavier music and want that punchy forward midrange.

I think it was more of a personal preference thing if you wanted domes over cones rather than any dramatic sonic improvement.

To this discussion, I'll add that, in my opinion, the Polydomes are faster sounding and more articulate than a cone mid, which makes them a better match with the EMIT tweeter.

The cone mids tend to have a more punchy midrange that is more concentrated while the domes will have good dispersion but not the same forwardness.

I haven't heard EMIMs, so I can't comment on them, but in the cones v. domes, right now I prefer cones but that is just because I tend to like heavier music and want that punchy forward midrange.

I think it was more of a personal preference thing if you wanted domes over cones rather than any dramatic sonic improvement.
I own the speakers in my avatar (RS-IIb's and RS-IIIb's), so I can offer my observations on EMIM vs. Polydome mids. While I enjoy the Polydomes in my RS-IIIb's, the EMIM's are better than the Polydomes in just about every way. The EMIM's are faster, more delicate, more detailed, more articulate, have more air, and throw a larger soundstage than the Polydomes.

yup, i will echo what everyone else said. the domes have more dispersion and sound more open. of course, that is not what everyone wants.

Thank you for so colorful explanation!

The EMIM's are faster, more delicate, more detailed, more articulate, have more air, and throw a larger soundstage than the Polydomes.

Some day I will... some day... :)

This just answered the question I just posted. Ty

Back
Top Bottom