1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Poly cone vs poly dome

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by mr_RBG, Sep 30, 2010.

1. mr_RBG

mr_RBG Well-Known Member

As I understand Infinity used poly dome mid drivers in RS speakers from '82-'86 era. So was it a step forward after poly cone before they moved to EMIN?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tedrick

Tedrick Infinity-phile Subscriber

That's a matter of personal test, but for me, the answer is yes. I think the radiation pattern of the dome mids contributed to better imaging and soundstaging.

3. mr_RBG

mr_RBG Well-Known Member

Yes, probably, and on music too. On some rock songs it seems that it is not enough mids(missing some guitar notes).

4. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper In The Groove...

The cone mids tend to have a more punchy midrange that is more concentrated while the domes will have good dispersion but not the same forwardness.

I haven't heard EMIMs, so I can't comment on them, but in the cones v. domes, right now I prefer cones but that is just because I tend to like heavier music and want that punchy forward midrange.

I think it was more of a personal preference thing if you wanted domes over cones rather than any dramatic sonic improvement.

CDELON likes this.
  5. Tedrick

Tedrick Infinity-phile Subscriber

To this discussion, I'll add that, in my opinion, the Polydomes are faster sounding and more articulate than a cone mid, which makes them a better match with the EMIT tweeter.

I own the speakers in my avatar (RS-IIb's and RS-IIIb's), so I can offer my observations on EMIM vs. Polydome mids. While I enjoy the Polydomes in my RS-IIIb's, the EMIM's are better than the Polydomes in just about every way. The EMIM's are faster, more delicate, more detailed, more articulate, have more air, and throw a larger soundstage than the Polydomes.

6. ohhwell

ohhwell Mr Edit Button

yup, i will echo what everyone else said. the domes have more dispersion and sound more open. of course, that is not what everyone wants.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. mr_RBG

mr_RBG Well-Known Member

Thank you for so colorful explanation!

Some day I will... some day... :)

8. CDELON

CDELON Active Member

This just answered the question I just posted. Ty