Polydome surface repair product

Will armor all make the domes clear also? I will say that the 303 to me does smell similar to armor but there is no residue at all. I know armor all has been proven fatal so just observation.

Got a pair of kappa 6's with opaque/yellow polydomes. Sound good and supple.
Removed from cabinet and took apart ( easy ). Applied 303 aerospace protectant,
$6 for 2oz. At first it left a milky residue but wiped it off with paper towel. This
morning the polydomes look new! I have no idea how this stuff clears the poly's
but it does so nicely.
I have an ebay poly on the way. It is yellow and i plan to treat it with the 303
product also. Will post before and after pix.

303 is a great product and I have used it on my cars for many years but I'm not sure how much good it will do on these old PolyDomes. I did use it on mine after I got my K7's and, while it did clear them up a little i don't think it really helped prolong their life as both of mine split around the edge where the dome attaches to the surround.

YMMV

I think that once any yellow shows up the material is shot.duh! I cleaned my 6.1ii made 4-25-96 polydomes and they are clear and feel very supple. However the yellowed damaged pair from my 7 kappas although cleared when cleaned could not handle me gluing a dust cap on as it tore where the coil is glued. It seems that the 303 is designed to keep plastics and various rubbers that are in good shape from feeling the direct force of harsh environments. The silicone oil never made since to me as the poly dome is a "poly" figure propylene and silicone would also build up. I heard mention of the tire softener but have had friends that race go carts for years and see those tires as they end up, hard and crumbly. Armor all should be renamed armor ain't. Just make sure you do something as letting sit anywhere as they are they are soon to fail. I think the 303 seems to be a good choice for prolonging our beloved polydomes. Btw I am sending my busted polydomes to millersound shortly. Happy listening my fellow sound junkies!

SSSSSSooooo here is an update on The Polydome Surface Repair Stuff. It's been 9 months since I Applied it and there is no color change. Here is the pictures. This stuff works so far. It's not an oily or greasy product. Once it's dry it will always be dry to the touch. Thank You.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 63
Water based polymer coating.. Happened to notice when I bought some sealant for the cork on my fishing rods it was the same stuff (a little more watery). Going to dig out an old dome and see what it does. On a piece of plastic it leaves a super thin, yet strong, clear film layer.
6.00 for 2 ounces.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/U-40...euRMd9VPjKlAOWUT3cTdR0wl9UixjOuRIEaAr4e8P8HAQ

Something similar, maybe an idea..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ProteShield-1-gal-Elastomeric-Waterproof-Sealer-PSHLD1G/203742145?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D24-Paint|&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9b6-BRCq7YP34tvW_uUBEiQAkK3svU3GWg5Zyx17LJQ0wdw2qkVbd5XMkPzna69iLYuJ_S0aAkNl8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
I took them apart and did both sides. If you are careful you can leave then in
the enclosure . They feel more supple after treatment..Been 6 months now.

Back
Top Bottom