Pondering Pioneer

Moth R. Superior

Hey AKer's., I'm here for advice. I'm currently using on one of my systems, a SX 750, now, I've got the chance at an sx 838. Both are 50 WPC, any really noticeable differences.???

Last edited:
I have a somewhat refurbished (with the help of the experts here) SX-750. I have only done the power supply, and fixed-up the AM section. The rest is virgin.
I believe it has a somewhat brighter and /or sterile signature than my SX-727's and SX-1010's. At least mine does anyway, on my equipment.
I do not have an 838, but I'm guessing it probably has a warmer stance than the "50" series units do; I'm thinking more similar to the 1010.

But - keep in mind, condition of the pre-amps, tone boards, etc., as to whether or not they have been refurbished will have an effect when looking for a level playing field. it's not good to compare a completely refurbished or restored unit to a 45 year old original.

The most of what I do NOT like about the SX-750 is that it has only 1 Phono input. The 838 has 2.
Some people prefer the silver dial faces over the blacked out / blue dial, and vice versa.

The sx-838 was more of a TOTL design, it has a more sensitive tuner, the stereo decoder is not a PLL type however.
I think I would go for a sx-838 over a sx-750 but that is imo.

I think I would go for the SX-838 too. I had an SX-750 and it just didn't sound right to me. I went through it and re-capped it and replaced some transistors that were starting to get noisy but when I put it back together.... it was still a bit... sterile as AJD1964 said. I now have an SX-838 and it sounds much nice to me and a more well rounded sound but I think it comes down to personal preferences in the end. Both have nice looks.

There are probably fewer 838s out there to be had. Lots of 750s will be around for a long time. As RCS indicated earlier, the 838 was more of a higher-end unit when it was made, whereas the 750 was the "top of the bottom" in 1977. The 750 was the best of the low-priced receivers, as evidenced by the sheet metal top in place of actual wood, and rear connection extension platform common to the lower-end units. It sacrificed exterior amenities but kept the chassis build quality of the higher-end units. With fewer inputs and controls, it didn't have all the features and amenities of a larger unit. It shares the more simplistic features of the small units in the common power switch, modest phono amps, and more simplistic design of the smaller units, and of course has the lower-end composite case parts.

However, it is by no means a slouch. It has the protection circuits common to the upper-tier units, large heat sinks for the discrete outputs, a pretty good tuner section which can be tightened up nicely, and a more than sufficient power supply. They didn't skimp on the power amps. If It isn't the best, and if you can get past the tin top, it's at least among the best of the 50W rated units of its day in terms of performance.

If you do a lot of Recording the 838 has the same recording setup as the 737. Play one source while recording another. Not something you can do on the 750. I don't care for the x50 series. Not a fan of the Faceplate. Plus I like the tonal qualities of the x3x series. The x50 started getting to accurate and sterile with the upshot that the x80 series was worse in that Dept.

Get the sx-838 manual and compare the features.

SX-838 was third from the TOTL behind the 939 and 1010. SX-750 was fifth from the top. Both are great units, both have some transistors known for going crackly that will need replacing, both should have their bias trimmers replaced, cracked solder joints re-flowed, and some overheated parts in the power supply of either will need some attention. The usual stuff for units that are over 40 years old.
IMO, the SX-750 has a little more of a "crisp" sound to it, a little punchier. 838 is prettier and has more inputs.

If you can't find a 838 try for a 939. They also fly under the radar as almost everyone wants a 1010 or a 737. The 939 gives up the 2 source recording abilities of the 737 and 838 but is basically a 1010 with a lower powered amp section. Same faceplate, some of the same boards, and a bit easier to work on. I've got both a 737 and a 939. While the 939 does pretty much everything except the 2 source recording that the 737 has, I find the 737 just has a personality and the most bang for the buck that is the sweet spot in the x3x series. But again, the 737 is probably the most popular model in the lineup,(behind the 1010) so you should be able to get either a 838 or a 939 cheap comparatively.

www.hifiengine.com has the brochures for both the 838 and 939.

To answer the op’s question ... no.
But get it anyway . The 838 is one I don’t have . And have never seen in my travels to flea , thrifts etc .

Watthour’s summary of the 750 was nice to read . Now I wish I still had mine. I don’t need a lot of features . The power / speaker knob was becoming wobbly though.

And honestly I can’t quite hear the difference between my 737 and 1010. But the 737 wins in looks . Easily .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom