Poor mans tv calibration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results using the test disks can be influenced a bunch by ambient lighting and vary day to day. I suppose if you're going to try them, you'll want to pick a time of day and lighting you'd normally use and hope for the best. Been there, tried it and not all that happy with the results. Best o'luck getting any decent results as you dig into the more difficult variables like white scale and hue balance. That'll drive ya straight up bonkers.

Another vote for AVSForum though ... lotsa geek types there who have the proper equipment to do it right, and a better set should be calibrated about right at the factory to give you similar results using their settings. I was able to search for my exact model number and get exactly what I needed. DO download and print any settings you use and like as they may disappear over time. I printed mine up and keep them in the owners manual.
Mine had factory settings none were too impressive, until I find a job can’t afford a calibration specific disc.

What's wrong with trying either of the two free calibration procedures previously posted. If you follow the directions you most likely will be happier with the results than you are now. Being unemployed you should have enough spare time to follow directions.

FWIW: If I had severe pain in an ear and my doctor was ignoring my complaints I'd find a new doctor.

What's wrong with trying either of the two free calibration procedures previously posted. If you follow the directions you most likely will be happier with the results than you are now. Being unemployed you should have enough spare time to follow directions.

FWIW: If I had severe pain in an ear and my doctor was ignoring my complaints I'd find a new doctor.
Yeah care source is trash need better insurance , audiologists said I have sensitive ears and she’s couldn’t do anything not enough hearing loss . ENT said use a fan in the background....... wtf !??

This tv is a smart tv should I sign into internet and go to the calibration website on the tv ? Or you download it to flash drives.
The free one you suggested.

You're all over the place with your comments. This isn't rocket science. When you get enough money, you can pick up a used disc on Ebay, like Video Essentials DVD, and then follow instructions on the disc. It would be a good learning tool. You could probably get one for under $10 shipped.

Yeah care source is trash need better insurance , audiologists said I have sensitive ears and she’s couldn’t do anything not enough hearing loss . ENT said use a fan in the background....... wtf !??

This tv is a smart tv should I sign into internet and go to the calibration website on the tv ? Or you download it to flash drives.

There's no treatment for tinnitus, just masking techniques. The most common is white noise. Fans make white noise.

The ENT knows what they're talking about. You do not.

There's no treatment for tinnitus, just masking techniques. The most common is white noise. Fans make white noise.

The ENT knows what they're talking about. You do not.
Or scientists and medical research don’t care to find a cure , or treatment.
Same reason they use harmful radioactive chemicals to kill cancer .
Either way no cure right now to tinnitus so I’m out of luck .
You won’t see that used in America, most expensive healthcare in the world can’t cure much though?

Last edited:
Or scientists and medical research don’t care to find a cure , or treatment.
Same reason they use harmful radioactive chemicals to kill cancer .
Either way no cure right now to tinnitus so I’m out of luck .
More money in treatment not curing cancer , nanotechnology could probably cure it.

You and me both.

That said, maybe tone down the conspiracy theory YouTube channel watching. Everyone isn't out to get you.

You and me both.

That said, maybe tone down the conspiracy theory YouTube channel watching. Everyone isn't out to get you.
See everytime I a 4K disc I get this .C32261D7-60BF-4793-95CF-0690C8306B0A.jpegC7E64B63-CB6A-4F97-9DC7-2E08024BF95F.jpeg56E93437-86C8-4B8E-9B85-D775E4125E19.jpeg065F45E6-01FF-4E3B-97B1-03DBB1247037.jpeg
Sad time thanonos help us go back in time and buy a tv that doesn’t suck .

Last edited:
Anyone else get this ‘message on thEre TV??
:lurk::jump::wtf:
It just means your tv doesn’t support hdr and your not getting hdr when you play a 4K movie but your still getting a 4K picture . The only way to get rid of that message is to get a tv with hdr . Also refer to the previous post with the link to the Rtings optimal settings for your tv , that’s as close as your going to get to a calibration and it’s free.

Audiofreak71

It just means your tv doesn’t support hdr and your not getting hdr when you play a 4K movie but your still getting a 4K picture . The only way to get rid of that message is to get a tv with hdr . Also refer to the previous post with the link to the Rtings optimal settings for your tv , that’s as close as your going to get to a calibration and it’s free.

Audiofreak71
Yeah but hdr isn’t worth it , I’m keeping my til I can afford to move out . 8k will make 4K obese soon anyways. 2023 probably

Ratings.com said every model is different, I already did some of the stuff on there .
Maybe I need a better Blu-ray player for my tv model , could mine not Be good enough?some blue ray movies look like trash , I blaime the player itself .
My lg Blu-ray’s players died my mom made me throw it out , lost zack & miri stuck In the disc drive . I was going to try and fix it .-$130 bye by early .
Current player is UBP-X800 Blu-ray player !!

Last edited:
Yeah but hdr isn’t worth it , I’m keeping my til I can afford to move out . 8k will make 4K obese soon anyways. 2023 probably

Ratings.com said every model is different, I already did some of the stuff on there .
Maybe I need a better Blu-ray player for my tv model , could mine not Be good enough?some blue ray movies look like trash , I blaime the player itself .
My lg Blu-ray’s players died my mom made me throw it out , lost zack & miri stuck In the disc drive . I was going to try and fix it .-$130 bye by early .
Current player is UBP-X800 Blu-ray player !!
HDR isn’t worth it? Maybe I’m not understanding exactly what you mean by that but if you are meaning it’s not worth it then you are extremely wrong . HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR 10 and now HDR 10+) brings out so much more color to the movies . I’m not familiar with the UBP-X800 so I can’t comment as to its performance, I use an Oppo 4K player for my 4K movie watching , I’ve always used oppo players and they have never failed me .

P.S. 8k will not make 4K obsolete for one reason, in order for you to take full advantage of 8k and see the difference you are going to need a minimum of a 75in tv therefore 4K will be around for awhile .

Audiofreak71

HDR isn’t worth it? Maybe I’m not understanding exactly what you mean by that but if you are meaning it’s not worth it then you are extremely wrong . HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR 10 and now HDR 10+) brings out so much more color to the movies . I’m not familiar with the UBP-X800 so I can’t comment as to its performance, I use an Oppo 4K player for my 4K movie watching , I’ve always used oppo players and they have never failed me .

P.S. 8k will not make 4K obsolete for one reason, in order for you to take full advantage of 8k and see the difference you are going to need a minimum of a 75in tv therefore 4K will be around for awhile .

Audiofreak71
My model was just another con by Sony , shoulda waited longer and just bought a pc.
In my financial situation no reason to upgrade until I can move out . This tv could be used as a back up then , maybe I need to get a oppo when I get a job see if it helps. If not then just a total waste $1150 or more for a tv not hdr 2015 Sony & Samsung at that price sucked . Shoulda gotten a. Vizeo or a smaller hdr tv.
The hdr version in Samsung’s was $2500 and $2000 at my size for Sony I couldn’t afford either . Maybe don’t buy a new tv when you have no job.
OLED are supposed to be superior to led. For dark rooms wish I woulda waited for one of those .
Do you think I should just use my tv For now and maybe something better then hdr will comeback out ?

My bedrooms probably too small for projector 12x 12 foot room bed takes up 1/3.
How much are hdr projectors?
Make sure me hate the tv sellers for swelling me a model that in some parts was sold as hdr ready but never got an update.

Sooner or later today’s best TVs will die like the pioneer & Panasonic which we’re top of the line . Then maybe I’ll upgrade again until then tired if being ripped off by Sony. .
Probably getting Samsung or lg next .

Ehh you don’t. Need a 75 inch tv to tell the difference they said that about 4K also.
If it’s only worth having a 75” tv might as well wait 6 years maybe I’ll have a job by then .

Really wish ida returned this model I waited too long , it’s hardly better then maybe old lcd .
It’s not even as good as my dads 1080p Samsung 3d smart TV.

Last edited:

Lets see. You have been given links to two free calibration procedures. Neither of which you've bothered checking. If you had you wouldn't be asking questions about how to use them.

Is there any reason why you haven't bothered checking either site?

Looked up the OPs model and it appears to be a decent set. I'm curious as to what is so bad about it. Why don't you let us know what are your picture settings right now. Each picture mode will give you a different look. Never use VIVID. Try Standard or Cinema to start with. That screen capture looks way to reddish and washed out.

Looked up the OPs model and it appears to be a decent set. I'm curious as to what is so bad about it. Why don't you let us know what are your picture settings right now. Each picture mode will give you a different look. Never use VIVID. Try Standard or Cinema to start with. That screen capture looks way to reddish and washed out.
Yeah sometimes it looks amazing for not hdr in dark movie scenes or some movies it looks bad , not sure if it’s the Blu-ray player struggles or it needs more calibration .
I’ll try tomorrow to calibrate it much better .
Dvd look terrible but that’s normal ?
I’m unsure why some content looks superb and others sub par .
WiFi looks terrible on the tv for Netflix I have to run it on my roku tv.
Android os is buggy I’ve had to clear cache and stuff and restore it before .

How do you have your sources connected? Are they connected directly to the tv? Are they all HDMI or some other combination?

How do you have your sources connected? Are they connected directly to the tv? Are they all HDMI or some other combination?
HDMI a cable off amazon the gold ish striped one that says 4K hopefully good enough.
One hdmi going to the tv , audio going to onkyo 818.
If I need to I. CAn connect tv to internet I had not done that because Netflix looks bad on android tv app .
My ps3 WiFi won’t. Work so I had to buy roku tv . Ps3 loses connection to WiFi then won’t let me sign back in it’s broken or something. haven’t made a post on fixing ps3 It’s probably too complicated.

Is it the norm for dvd to look terrible ? On 4K TVs ?
Why does Redbox carry those still ? Looks so bad . They should quit making dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom