Poor mans tv calibration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's me, but your comments are hard to understand.

Your cables might be a problem, but you won't know until you have a known good one to compare them all.

Here's a suggestion to determine if it's a cable, a source or a receiver problem. Take notes on all of the following steps.

To determine if your have cable issues do the following.

1) Take one known good source like your Blu-ray player and use a good Blu-ray disc as an image reference.

Disconnect the HDMI cable going from the Blu-ray player to your receiver and connect it directly to the TV. If you see a good picture, remove the other HDMI cables coming from your other sources to the receiver.

2) Disconnect the remainder of the HDMI cables from all of your other sources that are connected to your receiver.

3) Plug those cables individually from the Blu-ray player and connect each one to the same HDMI input that you used in step #1. Do the same thing for every HDMI cable you are using.

If the image from your Blu-ray player looks the same with each of the HDMI cable you have, then the issue is not the cables.
If the cables are all good, now you can use those cables and reconnect them to all of your sources and 1 by 1, connect each one of them to the same HDMI input you just used to test the cables in steps 1 and 2.

This will give you a reference for each of your sources. It will also remove the receiver as a possible source of your image problems.

Most Sony sets that I've had and used in the past had global settings that were present on each input. This means that, what ever you set your video settings to, it's the same for every input. Your set may be different.

9B1F4A92-6503-4815-A945-FA652E733A94.jpeg
OLED now is closest thing to the king of displays plasma

I owned the king of plasmas , the Pioneer Elite Kuro the 151fd and my Lg Oled bests it in every category even blacks believe it or not and my Kuro couldn’t touch my Oled with colors .

Audiofreak71
For non hdr tv what’s best setting ?
This Blu-ray player struggle with downconvirt to sdr 4K?

View attachment 1449171
For non hdr tv what’s best setting ?
This Blu-ray player struggle with downconvirt to sdr 4K?
I’m pretty sure there’s been a few links over the past few pages leading directly to the answer to this question. Have you tried any of them ?. Rtings has exact tv calibration for your tv and you can make tweaks based off of those settings to get the picture to where you want it .

Audiofreak71

I’m pretty sure there’s been a few links over the past few pages leading directly to the answer to this question. Have you tried any of them ?. Rtings has exact tv calibration for your tv and you can make tweaks based off of those settings to get the picture to where you want it .

Audiofreak71
I’ve used rtings, I’m unsure what’s setting to use on my Blu-ray player .
How to you. Correct over pixelation? Batman vs Superman too bad ? Lower sharpness or what ?
4K rental disc

Last edited:
I’ve used rtings, I’m unsure what’s setting to use on my Blu-ray player .
How to you. Correct over pixelation? Batman vs Superman too bad ? Lower sharpness or what ?
4K rental disc
My oppo udp-203 settings and adjustments are totally different than your player so what you need to do is play around with the adjustments until you decide what suits you . With my oppo I didn’t have to touch a thing and my Oled Tv was professionally calibrated . I find the best way to get things how you want is to experiment with the settings until you find what you like , if after you do that and it still isn’t the way you want it then maybe that piece of gear isn’t right for you .

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
I don't know how much you value your eyes, but if you train your self like a portrait photographer or a scenic artist, I can see getting great results without spending to much money. Sure getting a grey scale and color bar generator source would be great aide.

What causes the backlight to flicker so much ? Is it more common on DVD’s ? Or what
Some are designed to vary in various parts of the frame to increase apparent contrast range, depending on the scene features.

Some are designed to vary in various parts of the frame to increase apparent contrast range, depending on the scene features.
Oh during dark scenes usually isn’t that normal ? Maybe I’m over worried about nothing ?
DVD look decent newer ones are fine to rent form redbox being if no Blu-ray is available

Oh during dark scenes usually isn’t that normal ? Maybe I’m over worried about nothing ?
DVD look decent newer ones are fine to rent form redbox being if no Blu-ray is available
Better sets do it in more smaller areas, basic sets may do it in just a few or not at all. It requires additional "smart" circuits to work.

How do you have your sources connected? Are they connected directly to the tv? Are they all HDMI or some other combination?
All connections are to receiver except the hdmi 4k Blu-ray player is to TVs, audio goes to amplifier.
I got my tv looking better I think this model just struggles with bleed during dark scenes of movies .

Better sets do it in more smaller areas, basic sets may do it in just a few or not at all. It requires additional "smart" circuits to work.
So cheaper sets are just junk basically? Wish I had waited longer I could had got a Vizio with Dolby vision for cheaper then what I paid in 2015.
Perhaps it just needs More calibration.

So cheaper sets are just junk basically? Wish I had waited longer I could had got a Vizio with Dolby vision for cheaper then what I paid in 2015.
Perhaps it just needs More calibration.
Not at all, they are fine for most folk that expect mainly long reliable service with acceptable picture quality.
Pay more, you get more, but you should decide what your expectations vs your budget allows and keep expectations realistic. Also understand the showroom default setup picture may not be optimal, and the picture quality anywhere anytime totally depends on the picture quality of what comes into the set.

Not at all, they are fine for most folk that expect mainly long reliable service with acceptable picture quality.
Pay more, you get more, but you should decide what your expectations vs your budget allows and keep expectations realistic. Also understand the showroom default setup picture may not be optimal, and the picture quality anywhere anytime totally depends on the picture quality of what comes into the set.
YEah could it be the Blu-ray player? Downconversion to sd? This trash tv did not come with hdr, brightness may not be high enough but it’s a 10 bit panel somehow .
It’s not on default settings , I signed into internet so I can use calibration links in this thread.
It almost makes me not want another Sony .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom