poor neglected thing

Dan ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Peanut Head
I hate seeing musical instruments abused and tossed away like common trash. Even inexpensive things like this one.
Much to my chagrin the other day while walking, I saw a small student guitar in a pile of curbside trash where a rental unit had been cleaned out. It had suffered several indignities, including a puncture the size of a nickel on the bottom left bout of the soundboard and several nicks and scrapes all over front and back. I took it home, filled the puncture with wood putty, stained it (and the nicks) and then added two coats of lacquer to the area. After curing, I buffed out the front and backside with Kit Scratch Out and then re-strung it with new bronze and steel strings. I'm going to try to find it a good home for some kid that wants to learn how to play guitar.

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• DSCN0179.jpg
    DSCN0179.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCN0180.jpg
    DSCN0180.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 337
I like to imagine that great things are in store for this little castaway. Who knows, perhaps some great music will be written on this very guitar.

Nice Job Celt. I have fished a few guitars out of the trash and donated them to people and schools

Good on ya, Dan! I've read many a story of a great musician who started out on a basic instrument like this one.

I'm happy to say that this little guitar found a good home today. A friend (who's an excellent guitar player) is going to give it to a youngster learning how to play guitar. I was just happy to have saved and donated it for a good cause.

I like to imagine that great things are in store for this little castaway. Who knows, perhaps some great music will be written on this very guitar.

I hope no one writes on it, considering the effort that Celt put into cleaning it up.

Seriously, it looks very nice, how does it sound? Does the wood putty have an adverse effect?

Believe it or not, it has a nice warm sound that seems like it's coming from a much larger instrument.
I can't tell the wood fill did anything to harm the sound as it was on the lower bout beside the kerfing.

Back
Top Bottom