Pop up message on Android smartphone...

Discussion in 'AK New Format' started by whoaru99, Jul 30, 2017.

1. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Every now and then while surfing the forum I get a pop-up window that reads something about using a different browser because Chrome is draining the battery. I'll try to take a screen shot next time it happens.

Anyone else seeing that?

RedSquare likes this.
  2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Occasionally run "check for system updates" from tools menu and don't worry, my $0.02.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

It's a crock. It is an ad disguised as a browser warning. In essense, you'll download something that will "clean" your phone or do some other stuff that doesn't need to be done. Same old scam as those "registry cleaners" that damage Windows more than they help. Or to put this another way, Android never pops open warnings like that. Some company probably wants you to download their adware-laden browser to replace Chrome.

If I see something at the corner of an ad to report these, I usually do. But it does no good, sadly.

Pio1980, pustelniakr and RamblinE like this.
  5. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Yeah, I know that sorta stuff is nearly always bogus, and with intent to get you to click on something you most likely shouldn't.

Below is an example of a different one I got just some minutes ago.

I've used my smartphone to do most of my browsing for a while now (and, yes, the system updates are current). These pop-ups started fairly recently. No rhyme or reason I've noticed when/where it happens other than seems when viewing a page, not reading individual thread.

Screenshot_2017-08-03-06-49-22.png

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

You have a cookie that is timing your browsing is all and that is why it pops up the way it does. Turn off third party cookies.

7. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Ok, just disabled third party cookies and cleaned out the cache. Will see what happens.

8. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

3rd party cookies is the first thing to do for browser security. Those can be spoofed pretty easily so just not accepting them is a good start.

9. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

I only use Android phone and tablet for internet now, good to know.

10. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

I had a popup on another site just a couple of days ago, trying to view via mobile. It is one of Internet Brands' automotive forums, and IB is definitely a bottom-feeder in terms of shoving crap at their visitors. This ad was telling me I was selected to win $1000. I basically just killed the browser process rather than tap on anything. And I'm letting the admins know (from a laptop. where I have an ad blocker installed) that I don't appreciate getting their garbage on my phone. (They'll tell me to install Tapatalk..."Crapatalk" is what us site admins call it...so you know how far that will go.)

My VPN service has an ad blocker built into it, though, so it looks like I'll need to visit some places with the VPN enabled. :)

And yeah, Flash has fallen out of favor. I never liked it, even as a developer. It was a dumb idea from the get go.

11. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

FWIW, I have not had any more of those pop-ups since disabling 3rd party cookies.

Wildcat likes this.