Popping sound first 10 mins of turning on

Paul R

Hi everyone..I have a Mcintosh tuner preamp that gives intemittent popping sounds within first 10 mins of turning on regardles of input source in both channels. After this it plays well. The cycle is repeated with each turn on/ turn off. Is this a charactistic of failing capacitors. This unit is 30+ years!!! Anyone with similar experience? Or perhaps knowledge of component operation and a possible fix?

ATTN Moderator, please move this thread

Paul,

You have a great question, its just posted in the wrong section. You shoudl try posting this in the macintosh audio fourm. You get tons of results there.

Jordan

re post

Jordan..Thanks for your suggestion ...it is also at the mcintosh forum but more readers than solutions..I was hoping that someone with a similar experience might be elsewhere...Cheers

If it's a tube pre, start removing the tubes one at a time from the beginning of the circuit, turning on the amp after each one. If the popping still occurs when all tubes are gone, the problem is probably in the power supply.
Even if it's not a tube amp, electrolytic capacitors are only designed to last 10 years or so. It might just be time for the old Mac to be freshened up.

I forgot to mention that what you're doing by removing tubes in this order is isolating stages of amplification. When the noise stops, you've isolated the noisy section from the output. It should be mentioned that there are very high voltages inside the amp. If you're not experienced with this stuff you should leave it to someone who is.
I'm sure there's a ton of people in here who'll take your money. Good luck. I hope I helped a bit.

re popping sound

It is a solid state pre/tuner and I am leaning towards replacing the electrlytics as this babe is 30+ years!!!. thanks for your input

Back
Top Bottom