BmWr75

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Artist - Porcupine Tree
Title - Recordings
Year of Release - rereleased September 2010
Record Label - Kscope
Genre - Rock

This album is advertised as a bunch of B-sides. I think the songs are first rate. Got into PT just a couple of years ago (In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing). Was surprised at the quality of the songs on "Recordings". Many of them flow seamlessly into one another. The CD is well recorded too.......not compressed like many of today's new CDs.

This is a must have for any current PT fans and would be a good introduction to PT for new, potential fans.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan, thanks for the heads up here, I'll definitely get this - vinyl if they have it.

I picked up Stupid Dream on vinyl during the FOABP pre-release concert - it sounds remarkable!

I too got into PT during In Absentia's release - great great band.

OK - just ordered the CD :D

Last edited:
would be hard to think of a more original, creative, and consistently excellent rock ensemble working these days that PT

ever listened to a band named Riverside? also quite good

PT produces some very nice recordings. If one wishes to test their system's ability to handle (relatively) high dynamic ranges this is some material that can do it.

True, and to prove this point - try to buy anything by PT on vinyl - you'll pay thru the nose.

...and as a side note - their live DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." is superb.

(PT "Stupid Dream" LP in my avatar ;))

would be hard to think of a more original, creative, and consistently excellent rock ensemble working these days that PT

ever listened to a band named Riverside? also quite good

Yep, I'm a big Riverside fan too. Am pretty sure Amazon recommended Riverside to me while I was looking at PT music.

True, and to prove this point - try to buy anything by PT on vinyl - you'll pay thru the nose.

...and as a side note - their live DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." is superb.

(PT "Stupid Dream" LP in my avatar ;))

Riverside also put out a new DVD this year called "Reality Dream". I bought it a while back but haven't watched it yet.

I have "Recordings" also. Great album, but my favorite, and the one I always recommend to PT newbies, is "Lightbulb Sun."

PT produces some very nice recordings. If one wishes to test their system's ability to handle (relatively) high dynamic ranges this is some material that can do it.

Definitely true:thmbsp: I first got into them by suggestion from a friend that worked at a local record store, in the fall of '97. I think Signify was pretty new. One of the first things he told me about them was their attention to detail in production. Sounds like Steve Wilson is very particular about that.

I really wish I'd had them get me the LPs back then, when they were still available new. Now that stuff goes for $200-300.

Anyone know if the KScope rereleases are any good?

Just ordered Riverside's first LP - based on these recommendations, how's their first compare to their other releases?

I am listening to "Recordings" right now. I forgot how well recorded it is! The cello in the first or second track sounded like it was right in the room!

Never heard (of) them until now... thanks for the tip... Am really liking the samples I've heard thus far...

If you're just hearing Porcupine Tree for the first time, and digging it - you've got alotta great listening experiences in front of you!!

Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing to name a few.

Then there's all the Steven Wilson side project stuff...

Oh man, you gotta get "Insurgentes" perhaps the best side project SW's done - then there's No Man, which is different but good.

Steven Wilson also collaborated with Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) on the OSI 'Office of Strategic Influence' stuff - which is great.

I've already got Insurgentes (forgot about it) and OSI - Blood (didn't realize S.W. had anything to do with OSI).

I've already got Insurgentes (forgot about it) and OSI - Blood (didn't realize S.W. had anything to do with OSI).

It may have only been the first OSI effort that SW was involved with.

I can't speak for "Free" or "Blood" - he may not have had any input here, not sure.

I haven't liked Blackfield or Stephen Wilson alone as much as PT. I think there's synergy there.
My favorites in order:
Deadwing (DVD-A gets the thumbs up for sonics and for bonus tracks)
The Incident
Anesthetize (Concert DVD & Blu-Ray of the Fear of a Blank Planet tour) Has a lot of bonus tracks from deadwing and Recordings, as previously mentioned)
In Absentia
Lightbulb Sun
Fear of a Blank Planet
Arriving Somewhere (DVD) has more material from Recordings performed live)
Stupid Dream
Nil Recurring

I like others, but in general, I prefer the band's new drummer, who started with In Absentia over the older drummer, even though he could sing background vocals.

I haven't liked Blackfield or Stephen Wilson alone as much as PT. I think there's synergy there.

Funny you should say that. The first PT albums were Stephen Wilson alone, playing all the instruments. At some point, he started to get calls asking for "The Band" to play gigs, so he had to get a band together.

Back
Top Bottom