Portraits/People

An extraordinary person and a physical therapist that's into stand up paddle boarding.

Sara.jpg

My Civil Air Patrol son with the Thunderbirds Commander/Leader after a performance.

DSCF3224.jpg

Three guys I play outdoors with. Rock climb, mountain bike, surf, sailboard and now one of them is trying to get me to kite board. Japanese, Indian, and Brazilian.

3amigos.jpg

Last edited:
I have posted three portraits illustrating three different techniques of portraiture.

One using natural light, pose and existing environment to tell the story of the subject.

One highly posed shot with speed lights.

And one shot of two friends with a Lomo camera that was made to feel like a "snapshot".

Thank you.

:thmbsp:

I have posted three portraits illustrating three different techniques of portraiture.

One using natural light, pose and existing environment to tell the story of the subject.

One highly posed shot with speed lights.

And one shot of two friends with a Lomo camera that was made to feel like a "snapshot".

Thank you.

Good for you!

Absolutely not.

Merely suggesting another member follow the spirit of the thread and show a little respect to the art of portraiture by refraining from posting any more snapshots.

I think he was directing it to my "no artistic ability whatsoever" snapshots.

Thank you for understanding. Some of us take our passion seriously. We respect our subjects and the medium. While successful snapshots can be excellent portraits they must also show a reverence for the art, medium and process. They must show respect for the subject. Just because there is a guy standing there in poor light does not a portrait make.

Once again thanks for understanding. Happy Thursday.

Thank you for understanding. Some of us take our passion seriously. We respect our subjects and the medium. While successful snapshots can be excellent portraits they must also show a reverence for the art, medium and process. They must show respect for the subject. Just because there is a guy standing there in poor light does not a portrait make.

Oh... I understand completely.

Damn... I'm disappointed. I was enjoying Onpixels portraits the most out of everything that has been offered so far. He really seems to be able to catch his subjects' radiance.

I'm not a photographer--I don't know (and can't see) the technical attributes you're touting as paramount.

But my excitement at finding this thread just got squelched.
:sigh:

See you 'round the forum.

Hey Brett, here is a smile for you. A friend, an engineer and a yoga teacher. She is almost 50 and can do handstands!

M_bamboo2.jpg

I'm not a photographer--I don't know (and can't see) the technical attributes you're touting as paramount.

Luckily, with the advent of the internet there are thousands of sites devoted to the teaching of portraiture. These sites can remedy that for you. Grab a camera and jump in.

edit: courtesy of chillwolf

INTRO TO PORTRAIT LIGHTING

Good lighting is a critical component of portraiture. It's also easily identifiable even by the casual observer. However, despite this apparent simplicity, knowing how to use light to achieve a desired look requires a much deeper understanding.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/portrait-lighting.htm

PORTRAIT FILL LIGHTING

A second light source — usually called a fill light or fill flash — can greatly improve portrait lighting. It reduces the depth of shadows and softens the appearance of facial features, amongst other traits. Best of all, a fill light is easy to create: either a simple on-camera flash or a reflector is often sufficient.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/portrait-fill-light.htm

:yes: :yes: :yes:

But my excitement at finding this thread just got squelched.
:sigh:

See you 'round the forum.

Then perhaps a "onepixel" and/or snapshot thread is in order? Nothing stopping you.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom