Possible Audiogon scam, advice needed please!

The problem with Audiogon's feedback method is that the seller can delete the listing, and you have no way the leave feedback. positive or negative!
Regards,
Jim

I already left a negative feedback on Audiogon stating that he ripped me off. I also opened a dispute case on Audiogon as well. I will escalate my dispute at paypal to a claim. What else can I do?

You should also contact your credit card issuer and get them to do a chargeback. My son had an issue with a product purchased on eBay, and Visa quickly processed a chargeback.

If PayPal refunds quicker, cancel the chargeback and vice versa.

I escalated my dispute thru paypal to a claim. It's been a few days and they haven't decided anything yet.

I also opened a dispute on Audiogon which I won (seller didn't responded), but that does not serve me too much as it only suspends the seller's account.

Does anyone know how I can use law enforcement in this case? Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

It seems very suspicious, what should I do now?

OK, I posted this thread several months ago.

I don't want to be neurotic but a Fisher X-1000 recently appeared on ebay :scratch2:. I know that there might be other Fisher X-1000s out there but what caught my attention:

01. this seller's profile is fairly new (Oct-09)
02. It is located in the same state as the previous scam (California)
03. The area code that is provided in his paypal account matches the same city, Oakland, CA
04. In both ad titles, the seller mentions EL34

No afilliation and here's the ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-X-1000-T...ptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a54e7eb9e

Can I ask ebay or law enforcement to conduct an investigation? Please advise. Thanks.

Carlos

Contact eBay and tell your story. They may be willing to help. You at least may stop someone else from getting scammed if thats what it is. It's at least worth a shot.

The auction seller welcomes local pick up in the description. I would not expect that if the auction was bogus. Could be wrong though.

Purchase was not directly E-bay, do they still freeze the payment to the seller for 16 days until confirmation of delivery by the buyer? The new policy for sellers that have low count feedback scores must wait for payment, maybe he was counting on the shipping payment from you to pay for shipping? Open a no payment case right away with paypal to start the clock. If you waite to file past 16 days he gets the payment hold lifted and has your money and maybe will ship at that point?

A gripe with E-PAY is they can collect and complete payment from the buyer instantly and hold the funds from the seller. Think of the interest they make for doing that to thousands of sellers, that's millions of dollars.

The auction seller welcomes local pick up in the description. I would not expect that if the auction was bogus. Could be wrong though.

This auction is not bogus, but the first time he sold me the amp he took the money and run.

Carlos

I'd contact the district attorney wherever the seller was located. If it is out of state contact the FBI as well. That's a lot of money at stake, and the felon who stole it from you should be prosecuted.

O.k, I've been watching this post from the start. I guess there's a little of the fear of getting taken in all of us and some of us have already lived it first hand. So with all due respect to the seller-legit or not, by default, I side with the AK'er. :thmbsp:
I contacted the seller to feel him out on the history of the amp, how long he's owned it, etc and I have to say, he said nothing of substance. You would think if you post such an item with the tube configuration and such, even if the guy is an estate hunter or flipper, he'd say something special about the thing.

He didn't answer how long he'd owned it or if had been recently serviced or even if it had any problems. He simply replied that he was "afraid" to use it much because of it's value and he only uses it "every once and a while." :thumbsdn:

The coincidences are too many if you ask me. And maybe because perhaps he's sold it a few times already, he's willing to let it go and even be picked up locally, before too much attention is drawn to it. That's good business practice, I suppose.

Let's hope that if this is the same amp/seller, that there is justice in this case and if not, believe in karma.

You can scam with local pick-up..

You sell the item, pay over paypal, then never hear from the ebay seller again to get an address...

If I was the OP, I'd be down at the police dept..

Agree with Similost, it's up to 1.5k now with over 20 bidders. Print off all your corespondence and get in touch with the authorities.

The seller replied "yes" to my email request to pick up and pay cash if I won.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom