Possible counterfeit “OEM” Stanton stylus (?).

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by ear4audio, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM.

1. ear4audio

ear4audio Member

I recall a thread where member boreas mentioned that Stanton never used stickers on their stylus grip to identify stylus types. I had no reason to doubt that claim as I have always seen Stanton’s various identifiers printed on the styli. Either the grips were black, white or clear with black ink until I unwrapped a Stanton 980LZS.
    980-2.jpg
    980S-4.jpg
    I've included pictures of a 981 to compare since they both use the same stylus type (D98S).
    980S-3.jpg
    980S-2.jpg
    As you can see the 980 stylus (D98S) grip is chrome plated plastic to match the color of the cartridge body while the 981 grip is clear plastic.

Stickers are used for the “Stanton” logo and the D98S stylus type for the 980 cartridge. They are both identified as “D98S”. Remembering what member boreas said about stickers had me wondering if I had an original Stanton stylus. All the paperwork (User Guide, Warranty Card) have the Plainview NY address so I’m somewhat certain that it is not from Florida. I don’t have a MC transformer to test out the cartridge but I’m certain the chrome D98S can be used in the 981HZS body. Also the 980 does not have the serial number engraved on the body, although it’s possible that only calibrated cartridges had serial numbers.

981S-X.jpg
    This is a closeup of the 981 D98S.
    980S-1.jpg
    Here is a closeup of the 980 stylus

Does anyone out there have a 980 with a chrome-colored stylus grip? Or do I have a counterfeit?

2. Grbluen

Grbluen AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have no idea. But if that is a counterfeit, it's an awesome counterfeit!

3. boreas

boreas Lunatic Member

This is the second time in recent weeks that a bestickered chrome D98S has come up, the first I think on Lenco Heaven. Both the sticker and the chrome finish are unfamiliar to everyone who posted to the thread.

John

4. needlestein

needlestein Super Member

It was speculated that it might be a Japanese export only version. Do you know where you got your 980 D98S?

I chimed in over on the other forum that it looks totally legit to me. Also, stickers are not completely unknown. The D7500 is a gold spray-painted D5000 with a D7500 sticker applied to it. It's a factory job, but it looks like it was done with Krylon. I have two D7500 and they are the same, and all photos I can find online show the use of the D7500 sticker.

So I think you just have a really rare factory original.

5. Montycat

Montycat Intrepid Lobster Subscriber

Good pictures! What are you using for a camera or scope?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM
  6. ear4audio

ear4audio Member

For pictures, I use my smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S7....no, not the one with the exploding battery). The microscope is an AmScope 150 series; it's really meant for biological specimens and slides but it comes with a usb eyepiece that you can connect to a PC and record the image. .. it's a work in progress. The maximum magnification is x250. I can't get any closer because the stylus grip gets in the way of the lens... Kind of tedious getting everything in focus and the slightest bit of dust can obscure everything. But it's enough magnification to see the cut of the diamond and the geometry of the stylus tip.

7. ear4audio

ear4audio Member

Interesting that this subject came up twice within a few weeks. Went to Lenco Heaven but couldn't find the post. Was the chrome stylus also with the 980? Checked out my old product brochures and found 2 that had pictures of the 98X series, but all had the clear stylus grip, I thought maybe Stanton produced a separate version of the stylus just for the LZS line but it doesn't make sense after thinking about it.

8. Montycat

Montycat Intrepid Lobster Subscriber

I have the S7 Edge too and it does great pictures. I've tried a small digital microscope too but couldn't get results like that.

9. empirelvr

empirelvr AK Subscriber Subscriber

That is correct. Only the calibrated carts had serial numbers.

10. boreas

boreas Lunatic Member

I couldn't find it again either but needlestein remembers it too so I'm not crazy - or both of us are.

John

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM
  11. needlestein

needlestein Super Member

I just wanted to add that on one of the other threads about this elsewhere on the internet that the cantilever, which is unique to Stanton, looked to my eyes to be totally authentic. If someone were to copy that, then I could argue that there no longer is a difference between a copy and the original. I'm guessing that the stickers are in place on this stylus because: A) Stanton couldn't figure out how to make ink stick to the chromed surface with any durability; B) Stanton couldn't figure out how to make the chrome surface look nice in the lettered parts whether ink was placed into the spaces or not; C) they got a fancy new sticker machine and they wanted to use it.

I don't know. The fact that so few of these have popped up--unheard of really, but totally authentic looking--suggests to me that Stanton simply had problems with the chromed (really an aluminum sort of spray like what's done to "chrome" wheels on model car kits) plastic. This one, however, is shown with the kit in which it was included, which the others I've seen did not.

12. needlestein

needlestein Super Member

13. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

I can't say that I've seen a Stanton with stickers on the stylus grip, but the stickers themselves look just like the ones they often used on the cartridge bodies.