Possible electrical problem with MX110 / MC30's (?)

Tangent

Sweet nightmares!
I have an unusual problem that I hope someone could help me with or perhaps point me in the right direction.

First some background.
  • Dedicated 20 amp power line installed from the breaker box to the wall with Furutech wall outlets by a master electrician (although I didn't need the skills of a "master" electrician but since I was having some other work done at the same time, had him do the wiring).
  • Both the MX110 and MC30's have been checked out by folks that know what they are doing (in the last few months), plus a trip taking the MX110 to McIntosh in Binghamton NY a few years ago for an overhaul. Everything is up to spec., no bad caps, etc.
When the MX110 was with the "folks that know what they are doing" the MX110 performed flawlessly. Just like their MX110.

I brought it home and it performed perfectly for a while. Then one listening session this week I noticed that the L speaker was louder than the R speaker. The vocals were dominant in the L speaker. Put my ear to both to confirm it (I was thinking unbelievable!!) so I decided to move the balance control back and forth to see if it did anything. As I approached the preamp with about 1/2 inch before touching it, a static spark went between my finger and the MX110. Without physically touching the amp, the balance snapped back and the vocals were centered again.

So before I throw more money at shadows, guesses and wild ideas or giving it all up and pulling out my vintage Technics receiver (that incidentally has to be overhauled - one side has no sound), does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should be concentrating my efforts?

Thanks in advance!

Work the connections between the preamp and amp while turned off. Wetting plug ends and shells with WD-40 or contact cleaner first could help, wipe them with paper towel wetted with either before and after working.
Work switches and controls on the preamp and amp and return to normal settings before turning on.

I had my interconnects re-terminated on one end (MC30 end) because of a weak connection. But as I said, it worked fine when being tested.

But your suggestion is certainly worth a try! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom