Possible for an old receiver (SX1080) to get "weak" with age?

PabloX

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have an SX1080 that's in excellent cosmetic condition and all functions are working. However, I've never felt it had the oomph it should have given the wattage rating. I remember my dad had an SX1250 way back and that certainly left an impression. I realize the wattage difference but the 1080 seems weaker than that, especially on bass.

Recently I picked up a Sansui 9090 and that beats the 1080 as well.

The 1080 can certainly put out some volume, but I'm turning up the knob a lot more than I think should be necessary. Both channels are about equal though.

So, is it possible for it to simply be weak? I'm not averse to getting it refurbed, but hopefully I can find someone local to do this.

Thanks.

Saying it is weak is something that requires it to be tested to see if it delivers the specified power to the load. 9090 and 1080 are similar wattage rated devices.

Lots of things can go out of specification on these receivers. It should sound great with strong deep bass and clean mids and highs. If you have it rebuilt with new capacitors and certain troublesome transistors replaced it will rock your world.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that where the volume knob is may have no bearing "necessarily" of the units health. But of course it could. I've seen low powered receivers put out glass breaking volume with the volume knob turned to 10 o'clock. The sensitivity rating of the output device to the receiver can definitely skew the picture. Of course in those situations that low powered receiver could be close to full power output even with the volume knob at 10 o'clock. I've had a couple of 1080's and currently have an exceptional 680. The 680 seems to have more "throttle" at low to medium volumes than the 1080's. My 1080's like yours seemed to reserve the throttle a bit till the turbo kicked in. :)

40 years old I'm sure she needs freshening up a bit. A bit of powder and nail polish is in order. A great center piece with those gorgeous power meters! Good luck!

I do not want to sound silly but is the muting switch on? Or if someone more technical knows can the muting switch be an issue?

gbroot, very good point about the volume control and whether it's linear or not. Part of why I wonder about this is I have some familiarity with an SX1250 in new condition, and that one put out a lot more at a lower volume setting (realizing the wattage difference).

gkhashem, no, muting is in the off position. The difference isn't that dramatic.

Back
Top Bottom