Possibly getting a Pioneer SX-434...will it work ok with my Pioneer CS-707 Speakers

Like the title says I am getting a Pioneer SX-434 to use in my office with my Pioneer CS-707 speakers. Currently I am powering them with a Kenwood KR-7600 and it sounds great, but the Pioneer is a little smaller and will fit on my desk easier. Will the Pioneer be enough to power those speakers or should I snag a new set of speakers too? I do have a pair of realistic minimus 7 speakers from the 70's or 80's, but I know those won't sound anywhere near as good as the speakers I am using now. I am still somewhat new to stereo equipment so please forgive my ignorance. Thanks

*** What has me wondering is the receiver I have now is 80wpc and the Pioneer is 15wpc. My speakers are 300 watts ***

The difference between 15 watts and 80 watts is only 3.5 dB. Not insignificant, but not huge, either. In terms of "absolute loudness", the difference is small. As a rule of thumb, a 3 dB change in loudness is clearly but subtly audible by most people (some "golden ears" can hear far less change in sound levels... but that is not most folks). For comparison a sound that is twice as loud as another represents a change of 10 dB. The sensitivity of our hearing is non-linear.

The "300 watts" number ascribed to the loudspeakers is meaningless (it represents the nominal power handling capability of the speakers... but without knowing a measurement standard for that value, it is literally meaningless). The important parameter is the sensitivity of your loudspeakers. That will detetemine how loud they'll play with a given amount of input power. My guess is they're pretty sensitive -- in which case, they should be OK. The suitability of the amplifier for those speakers will also depend on the kind of music you like, how loud you like to listen, and the size (and acoustic environment) of your room.But this is strictly a quantitative assessment. The qualitative assessment (how it sounds to you) is going to depend on -- you.

You may or may not like the quality of the sound from those loudspeakers -- with either of the receivers/amplifiers in question.

EDIT: IF this is the CS-707 to which you refer, they should be plenty sensitive for the little SX-434 (if the specifications are any where near accurate). According to this, they're capable of 98 dB of sound pressure level (SPL) output at a distance of 1 meter given input power of 1 watt (which is 2.83 volts into 8 ohms).
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/cs-707.shtml

pioneer_cs-707.jpg

Last edited:
Specs for that loudspeaker (i.e., the one pictured above) from the "manual" @ hifiengine:

upload_2017-11-12_16-41-41.png

Realistically, the frequency response is ca. 70 Hz to 15 kHz based on the graph.
The response at 30 Hz looks about 30 dB lower than the midband SPL. That's a lot.

The nominal power handling is 70 watts. Hard to say about the sensitivity specification, but if it is accurate, the little SX-434 (@ 15 wpc) could (I'd say should) be OK although a 50 wpc or more amplifier/receiver is "probably" a better choice, all things being equal.

SX-434 info:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-434.shtml

Those are the speakers. I’m not sure if this is because of sensitivity, but I don’t generally turn my receiver above 3/4 before my wife complains. I generally won’t go over 2 when she isn’t home. I guess I’ll try the pioneer with those speakers and if I don’t like the combo it will just give me a reason to acquire more speakers ha. Thanks for the info. It has given me a lot to research.

The volume control level is sort of irrelevant to either loudness or to power output, unfortunately. The "taper" of the volume control (which is a logarithmic potentiometer that serves to attenuate the signal from the preamp section being fed to the power amp section in a receiver) isn't fixed from model to model, and the gain of the preamplifier (and amplifier) stage(s) vary from model to model, too.

In the Home Theater world, there is some standardization of "reference levels" so that "-xx dB" can often be interpreted in that setting... but not when talking about 1970s consumer hifi.

Were I you -- I'd be looking for different loudspeakers, but I'm not you... and de gustibus non est disputandum.

It all depends on what one likes, one's budget and what can be easily found and retrieved (and accommodated in one's home).
If you like them, they're absolutely fine for you! They are kind of large, though.

I have no idea what would be common where you live. (in terms of vintage/classic "monkey coffin" loudspeakers), I'd look for a pair of ads L-710, Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7A, or EPI 100 speakers for either of those receivers (Kenwood or Pioneer). Smaller and very smooth, natural and easy to listen to. All three will work well with a smallish amplifier, too (although the Polk would do better with 25 watts or more minimum). There are so many different speaker opportunities out there, new and old -- it's too vast a subject to tackle in a post!

Look around here @ AK (and elsewhere) and -- get your ears on as many different things as you can!

"Large" is relative. You said you wanted a desktop system so I am assuming the space is fairly small.
My regular loudspeakers are large... but fortunately I have the space to accommodate them.

DSC_9570 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Right now it is in my 15x15 bedroom by my desk. I will have a different house next year and hopefully I'll have a studio/shop that is a little bigger for my darkroom and print room (etching press). I'll put the bigger system in there and the smaller one in my bedroom or office.

I got the SX-434 and just hooked it up to my Pioneer CS-707 speakers. I can tell a difference from my Kenwood KR-7600 for sure, but it still sounds better than I planned. I think I will find some other speakers for it besides the realistic minimus 7's I have in the garage. This will become my second unit and I'll keep it in my garage/print area for when I make my etching/photogravure prints on the press I just bought on ebay. This has been a good week for purchases and trades.

Now that I have two receivers at different levels in the lineup I understand more about their differences. The Pioneer sounds good. It is just that the Kenwood is tighter, cleaner and the sounds are more separated if that makes sense. Now I will be on the lookout for another Pioneer that can replace the Kenwood.

I do want to replace the bulbs though. The previous owner put in a darker and brighter blue LED in. It is also missing the orange stereo light

Back
Top Bottom