Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

Well Bos, the flip mechanism is slow and I can see new belts are required so I ordered a set from Marrs. It's been a good 15 years since it was run so I'm not surprised. I only searched for it as I also uncovered a box of Jazz tapes (I once thought I had sold off all my cassettes but they keep appearing). I think it will get a trip to Willy Hermann just to make sure it is adjusted properly. I do have a functioning Pioneer Elite deck in storage, if I could just find it. :mad:
View attachment 998163

Some nice Jazz tapes there! As much as I enjoy listening to my RX-505 in my office, for critical listening in my main system, it does not compare to the Dragon. You really owe it to yourself to hear these pre-recorded tapes with NAAC and the Dragon. I was never impressed with pre-recorded cassettes until I got the Dragon.

Well I bought a Sony APR-5003 from a local retired audio engineer. It was his personal machine with low hours and always maintained to perfection. I have not taken delivery yet as he has promised to teach me how to actually use and maintain it. It also comes with a complete set of spare parts from another machine so I should be able to keep it going for years to come.

Oh joy!

s-l1600k (net).jpg

Last edited:
Some nice Jazz tapes there! As much as I enjoy listening to my RX-505 in my office, for critical listening in my main system, it does not compare to the Dragon. You really owe it to yourself to hear these pre-recorded tapes with NAAC and the Dragon. I was never impressed with pre-recorded cassettes until I got the Dragon.
Yeah, but I sold my Dragon many years ago with about 500 tapes. Never thought I'd get back in to cassettes and don't really want to in any big way again. I understand the home-recorded stuff, but most commercial stuff I never critically listened to. In addition to the 505 (which I forgot I had), I purposely kept a Pioneer CT-05D that is quite good at payback of commercial releases and I previously used to digitize collections (plus it was newer and didn't require any expensive work!). I'll find it in one of the piles next time I'm at storage.

Last edited:
Well I bought a Sony APR-5003 from a local retired audio engineer. It was his personal machine with low hours and always maintained to perfection. I have not taken delivery yet as he has promised to teach me how to actually use and maintain it. It also comes with a complete set of spare parts from another machine so I should be able to keep it going for years to come.

Oh joy!

View attachment 1004726

Extra nice! What is the first tape you will play on it?

Extra nice! What is the first tape you will play on it?

Ha, never really thought about that? I will probably record a few things for playback first. The only two track recordings I own are 7.5 ips recorded on my TC-880-2. Nice deck and nice recordings but not at the same level this deck is capable of. I am considering buying a couple of those new 15 ips IEC recordings transferred from the master tapes that are becoming increasingly available. They are a bit expensive but are considered the best analog reproductions available in any format? The AVR-500x decks are said to be about the best playback OEM decks ever made and they do have IEC EQ. First I have to figure out where to park this beast!

Oh joy!

View attachment 1004726

Wow man that's a heck of a nice deck!!!! Do post a few more pics when you actually have it in your place. Congrats buddy!

Wow man that's a heck of a nice deck!!!! Do post a few more pics when you actually have it in your place. Congrats buddy!

Hopefully next week the seller and I can get together. I have been able to play with a couple of these decks over the years. Operating and watching the transport function is a dream.

I have been reading the manual, all 500+ pages! It has been many years since I have programed any machine code. All hexadecimal! Pretty much every process and control on this deck is processor controlled and adjustable through programing adjustments. All EPROM based. A guy could really screw things up!

Last edited:
Yamaha KX-300U:
R0013836.jpg

Hi all got these deck a few weeks ago. Was at the flea market. Paid $20.00 for it. Needed a new capstan belt.old one was stretched. And i had to align the play back-record head. Now sounds alot better. The deck as a TEAC A-300

Attachments

• TEAC A-300 001.JPG
    TEAC A-300 001.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 44
  • TEAC A-300 002.JPG
    TEAC A-300 002.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 40
Got the Sony APR-5003 hooked up into the system today. Easiest fix I've ever had! A .01uf cap had come loose on the back side of an IC and shorted out one of the pins.

Amazing deck! The transport is a total pleasure to operate!

IMG_0535 (net).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0525 (net 2).jpg
    IMG_0525 (net 2).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
That’s a truly awesome deck!!! Very nice.

Yeah, I like it. Spent the whole morning going into the bowels of the beast. Very clean inside and no signs of the typical abuse some of these pro decks go through.

Only issue is the fan on the power supply is a little louder than I like. It has one hell of a power supply! There is a great APR users group and others are using a much quieter drop in replacement fan that I just ordered from mouser.

Back
Top Bottom