Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

View attachment 1272723

Thanks! They had a really unique aesthetic. I love the angle it sits at. It’s very ergonomic to use. They could also be mounted vertically like this (not my pic). Nakamichi had a line of components with this design. When put together, it formed the “Nalamichi System One”.
That is so cool looks clean I'm new to all this only being 27 I did not grow up with allot of this stuff my dad just got me into this recently and I have grown to like the tape decks where my dad is more into the reel to reel and vinyl. But there is something about a cassette that I really enjoy.

That is so cool looks clean I'm new to all this only being 27 I did not grow up with allot of this stuff my dad just got me into this recently and I have grown to like the tape decks where my dad is more into the reel to reel and vinyl. But there is something about a cassette that I really enjoy.
It’s great to see another younger member! (I’m also in my 20s). Further more, it’s great to see a young person fascinated by analog technologies. It will be up to us to preserve, and maybe even advance these technologies one day.

Be warned though, the audio bug bites hard the more you get into it haha. I hope you find great joy on your audio journey my friend :D

Today I pulled out a CD-R I had recorded in 2014 of a podcast of the BBC Looks At Woodstock at 45. The CDR was new from Staples when I recorded it. Today the foil coating had faded away and the CD was nearly transparent and totally useless. Bummer, man.:beatnik:

Another reason why I won't give up on my cassettes.:rockon::beerchug::rockon:

Today I pulled out a CD-R I had recorded in 2014 of a podcast of the BBC Looks At Woodstock at 45. The CDR was new from Staples when I recorded it. Today the foil coating had faded away and the CD was nearly transparent and totally useless. Bummer, man.:beatnik:

Another reason why I won't give up on my cassettes.:rockon::beerchug::rockon:

Back in the early 2000s, when everything was shifting over to digital, I had a conversation with a couple of professional archivists who said that they would not guarantee the integrity of any digital storage media beyond about fifteen years....
I still maintain a few film cameras in various formats, I can review photos that I shot close to 50 years ago, and have held up pretty well. I also feel the same way about tape and vinyl, I`ll never give it up.

Back in the early 2000s, when everything was shifting over to digital, I had a conversation with a couple of professional archivists who said that they would not guarantee the integrity of any digital storage media beyond about fifteen years....
I still maintain a few film cameras in various formats, I can review photos that I shot close to 50 years ago, and have held up pretty well. I also feel the same way about tape and vinyl, I`ll never give it up.

This week I pulled out some old 2 gb Sony Memory Sticks, which both of my Sonys will accept, and tried them out. They still work fine but are too small for full HD videos and my card reader doesn't work with Windows 10. Had to find the dedicated USB cord for my Sony as a standard cheapy cord won't work. The cards are Magic Gate 2 so are fairly fast - probably basic class 10 speed - so I will keep them in my camera bags for spares.

In the most thorough testing done on optical media, Imation found that a well recorded CD-R should last at least 120 years if it used phthalocyanine dye and was stored properly away from UV light, heat, and large deviations in temperature and humidity. The testing was done over a year using the Arrhenius method of testing to destruction, or at least until errors could no longer be corrected. DVD+/-R media could be expected to last 54 years because the dye used in those media was less stable. The assumption is that the discs were all recorded on writers with suitable firmware and had low initial errors, a situation that is not as common as one would hope. The assumption is also that the discs are constructed properly. Flash media, on the other hand, had an expected life of 10-14 years. On the other hand, the BASF recordings from 1935/1936 are still recoverable, although the tape must be handled very carefully.

I found this Muntz Saturday at an Estate sale of a guy who'd worked at Billboard magazine I think for decades, I cannot find any information on it anywhere, anyone know anything about it?

Attachments

• Muntz & stuff 059.JPG
    Muntz & stuff 059.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Muntz & stuff 060.JPG
    Muntz & stuff 060.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 43
  • Muntz & stuff 061.JPG
    Muntz & stuff 061.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 37
I found this Muntz Saturday at an Estate sale of a guy who'd worked at Billboard magazine I think for decades, I cannot find any information on it anywhere, anyone know anything about it?

The only Muntz Stereo components were Stereo-Pak players. These were 4-track audio cartridge players for use in cars back in the late 1960s. This does not look anything like it, being obviously something for the home and also lacking a slot for the cartridge, unless that white thing on top of the box in the second picture is a cartridge that gets read that way..The Stereo-Pak cartridge was about 4 inches square and from what I remember transparent so you could see the tape. But there might have been opaque ones as well.

The only Muntz Stereo components were Stereo-Pak players. These were 4-track audio cartridge players for use in cars back in the late 1960s. This does not look anything like it, being obviously something for the home and also lacking a slot for the cartridge, unless that white thing on top of the box in the second picture is a cartridge that gets read that way..The Stereo-Pak cartridge was about 4 inches square and from what I remember transparent so you could see the tape. But there might have been opaque ones as well.
Yes this is a home one, I've seen many of the ones that looked like real stereo, this one almost looks like someone made it in their garage. They didn't have a slot but had those lines because they made different size cartridges. I just happened to have one 4 track tape (The Supremes) so I stuck it in and was surprised to find out it works. Others I've seen had model numbers but this one only has the '1243' rubber stamped on it and I couldn't find anything about it using that as a model # on my searchs. I hate stuff so rare that you can't find out anything about it! Oh and there's a clip on cover that's missing, kinda just a decorative thing.

I have several Fidelipac players that look just like that Muntz. The carts are always fully exposed like that and yes it does look almost homemade.

I have several Fidelipac players that look just like that Muntz. The carts are always fully exposed like that and yes it does look almost homemade.
Do you have one exactly like it? I'm trying to figure out what year this may have been and also the model number, if it had one. Do any of yours have that rubber stamped number "1243"? Also wonder does this have it's own amplifier? Are any of the four wires coming out of it for speakers? Sorry for so many questions, I just cannot find anything online about so I need one of the well informed collectors to help me! Thank you.

Attachments

• Muntz & stuff 062.JPG
    Muntz & stuff 062.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom