Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

A real beauty! It actually looks very similar to my Pioneer CT-91a, posted above :) Aiwa made some of the best decks out there IMO...

46078189642_676b2b3993_z_d.jpg

Here's a pic I shot this morning. Flash disintegrated LED's but still I think the pic show the deck nicely, a Sony TC-K950ES.

I have never had a RTR before. I wanted to buy local so I knew that the thing worked right. I only had two choices and they both were not great. One was Akai 4000DS and the other was Akai 1722W. As the 4000DS was a three head and had really nothing wrong mechanically with it and a better price I just bought it today. Came with a real of music of some guy I don't know but so far everything works. Some cosmetics and one knob that easy. My other deck is a JVC KD-3030 cassette. Like it alot for a big brute. Got that off FM for really nothing and having alot of fun making mixed recording with it. Look forward to now doing that with the RTR too and comparing the differences.20181201_140841.jpg 20181119_125120.jpg

Greetings from RojoLand!

I think you did well with the Akai 4000DS. I was given one of those years ago as a parts-horse for my 4000DS Mk-II, but I've since gotten it up and running in its own right. Yours looks to be in good shape, missing only the Pause knob (which you should find on the Dock-o'-the-'Bay with some patience; mine had the knob missing too, and it took awhile). Just holler if you have questions about it.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

Thank you rojo. It should be fun hunting music on reel to reel tape also. As for the knob I just bought one. If you look closely there is also one more small one missing. It's just above the cover for the heads. A small post that sticks out. I am not sure what that one does yet as I have not looked at either the owners or service manuals. Once I do I will know what to look for. I also am going to empty out the case and replace bits of the veneer that are missing. Sand it down and restrain to original. Maybe reveneer to something cool looking like tiger wood. We will see. The rubber reel caps are ok but could use replacing or upgrading. Any suggestions on that?

Greetings from RojoLand!

The post above the head cover is a holder for the capstan sleeve. The sleeve is mounted on the capstan for 7-1/2 IPS operation. For 3-3/4 IPS speed, you unscrew the retaining thumbnut, remove the sleeve from the capstan, then store the sleeve and thumbnut on that post. The Equalizer switch just changes the EQ, not the tape speed.

For the reel locks, some folks use rubber grommets. Replacement or NOS reel locks turn up occasionally on the Dock-o'-the-'Bay (eBay) but you have to be patient. I didn't have OEM locks with my rig so I had to do just that. It's possible to retrofit reel tables from a 4000DS Mk-II or 4000DB; those have built-in reel locks.

Have fun with the re-veneer project! The original veneer isn't all that great — you can't help but improve it.

Take care,

Aaaaaaa. Ok. I have done some research and found out that you are correct on the capstan holder and capstan. What threw me for a bit was the existing music on the reel. Someone made a recording but must have used an inbetween speed sleeve or some weird setup. When I tried both settings on and off plus both equalizer settings the music was either to fast or to slow anyway. Weird. So that threw me as too what these were used for at first. But thanks a ton for your helpful info. I was able to find a set of rubber reel holders of Denmark. New ones as mine are cracked and in fair to poor condistion. They will work for now. I may look into a upgrade to the 4000DB reel locks. I did not know that the MKII's had them too. Good to know. ROCK ON.

Greetings from RojoLand!

I've owned a 4000DS Mk-II since 1979, purchased new. When I was given the 4000DS (mark one — grin!) and noticed its lack of built-in reel locks, I was a little dismayed. But it's relatively trivial to change out the reel tables, IF you can find the later ones. They turn up on occasion, but for more $$$ than I want to spend right now. I'm just living with the rubber reel locks. I'm used to them, since my Teac A-4010S and Concertone S510-R both use them as well.

Hard to figure why the tape you have appears to be "between-speed." No oddball sleeves were ever made for this deck. Perhaps the previous owner was after some kind of effect, or he monkeyed with the deck in some way. (Is the music recognizable in any way?) Fortunately, weirdness on tape can be bulk-erased and the tape is good to use if undamaged. Speaking of tape, you'll note the Normal/S.R.T. switch. "Normal" is Scotch 211 (per the owner's manual) and similar tape. (211 is the same as Scotch 176 and Scotch Highlander 228.) "S.R.T." means Akai's Super Range Tape (not easy to find), or Scotch 206/207 or the like. Maxell UD is great on this deck; I recorded many of my radio shows using UD 50-60 (at 3-3/4 IPS, yet) and they sound today just like they did 35 years ago. Give Capture 914 or 930 a try (from Splicit.com). There's also MDS-36 from ATR Magnetics; it's supposed to be equivalent to Maxell UD 35-90. Don't run older stuff like Scotch 111 on this rig.

Take care,

Again, great info Rojo. Just what I need to know right now. The recording played back was recognizable. With the sleeve on it plays too fast and sounds like the chipmunks. When the sleeve comes off then it's way to slow. There no in between with the recording. So, I decided to try one of my own. I recorded a digital to tape recording useing my chromecast device threw my system and into the deck set with the sleeve on. I do not know what type of tape this is. There is no markings on it other than it was once used in a church to record a Minister then recorded over with jazz music of some kind. So, my music went on fine with no issues. Both channels were equal on the meters. I have to say playback was amazing. My system has never sounded that good or abtained that lever of volume before with just 45 watts per channel. I am very happy with the results so far. Like I said I have never had a RTR before so I may be on to something here.

Got all of this and more out a house clean out.
Plus a pair of working santanas,and flair 45 s.

Attachments

• 20181206_115514-1024x929.jpg
    20181206_115514-1024x929.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20181202_172654-768x1024.jpg
    20181202_172654-768x1024.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20181202_172317-1024x768.jpg
    20181202_172317-1024x768.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20181202_173416-768x1024.jpg
    20181202_173416-768x1024.jpg