Post pics of your Cerwin-Vega's here!

I've got some AT-15's and for some reason, they keep blowing fuses. I'm running them with a sony TA-3200f and only pushing ~105dB. Any ideas guys?
You keep blowing fuses because you are powering them with a wimpy amp into clipping. How do I know this? Because you are only pushing 105dB's, and the AT-15's sensitivity is 102dB's @ 1W/1M. The amp clipping is pure DC signal and that's what makes the fuses blow. My Advice is get some bigger power. :yes:

Edit: Gee I guess that Sony is 140 WPC, so it's not so wimpy after all, but to properly drive the AT-15's they require alot of power to drive to their full potential. The Sony will drive them decent with average volume, but to really wake them up, you need at least 250WPC or more. If you like it loud, then I would find an amp that has at least equal or greater power output to the AT-15's rated input of 400W @ 4 ohms.

Last edited:
Hi
These are very old 211's with unusual woofers. I got them off of CL. They came with newly refoamed woofers and a lot of scratches and discolored patches on the boxes. I recapped them on the advice of AK folks and replaced the terminals. It is interesting that the wires inside would not be considered usable for a 6" plastic speaker today yet if handles 250w easily.
I sanded the cases as far as I could and filled the big voids. Stained and hand rubbed Minwax. Painted front flat black followed by clear gloss. Satin gloss on the back just to seal it. It is said that these have no mid range but actually they really aren't lacking at all. I was surprised.

You had them on epay a bit ago if i remember correctly. unless someone stole your photos.

I have some Cerwin-Vega 211 H speakers i cant find any info on them. does anyone know where i can get some information ?

Wow, I can't believe I never noticed this thread ??? guess I've been :boring: ....

Here are my beauties...2000 series with 15". Pushing them with a Soundcraftsmen MA 5002 amp and well, they sound amazing IMO. I'm going to be recapping them soon too.

I'd love to use them for HT but how would they sound ?? What center and rears to complement speakers like this ??

I also have a pair of DX9 with a broken grille, a pair of AT-15 with a cracked tweeter trim ring and a pair of D-2 that I am refoaming. Once I can fix the problems with them they will be going on local CL.

Cerwin Vega PD-3's

I bought these Cerwin Vega PD-3's new when I was 18. I turn 46 in a couple of weeks and they sound better now than when they were new. I have upgraded the drivers etc. over the years.

104db @ 1watt 1meter. 400watts rms.

I regularly feed them 6oowatts per channel rms and they beg for more! :banana:

CerwinVegaPD-3.jpg

My AT-12s. Unfortunately they are only being powered by a 65 wpc pioneer 850 receiver. Can't wait to get a full 200 some wpc behind them like they aare rated for. The bass gets very sloppy towards the loud end without the proper power, but man do they sound amazing at medium to low. Absolutely love them

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1317834243303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317834243303.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 44
Hey

Cool speakers but...what do you mean by "upgraded" the drivers? :scratch2: Just curious.

Sorry for the delay. I am using planar tweeters like in some sunfire speakers and simply left the originals in place disconnected. The woofer is a higher quality better sounding driver and I improved the damping/damping material inside the woffer enclosure. I feel I've kept the prodigious output capabilities the best CV are known for, and without loosing thet, I've refined them with much more audiophile qualities.

After having modified these speakers, it's very clear to me that I'll NEVER......NEVER but pre-built speakers again.

I'm not trying to put down anyone's choice in speakers but I've seen (heard) the light. I can build speakers that sound better than multi thousand dollar speakers for a fraction of the cost.

CVPD-3.jpg

Those professional series CV's were designed to sound very colored and harsh, which is needed for loud levels of sound output and outdoor PA use. I'm sure you could tame them down by adding a more expansive Xover network and low bandpass buterworth networks. Alot of people like that "in your face" colored sound, but try to turn it up inside a home and your ears will bleed. That's where the refinements come in for better frequency tuning and response. It's very hard to combine quality and quantity, but there are some methods to our madness. We all like to tinker around to acheive the best sound possible. I for one, have done some alterations to my 380SE's Crossovers, which made them sound more detailed and less colorful, and they still deliver bone crushing bass and crystal clear highs & mids on demand.

These particular PD-3's, along with my mods, are only as colored as you wish. There is a "presence" switch on the back plate you can set to min, mid, max. I'm not sure exactly what's going on within the crossover with this, but it makes a big difference how much or how little the sound is colored. To me, I have tamed all of the colored exuberance that normally accompanies this type of speaker in stock form and I wouldn't change a thing. I have found my nirvana. :D

Hey, only 3 years late for this thread! Here's some 316r's that have been bouncing around my friends since mid 70's. The owners kept getting married, and the wives said "too big for the living room." I refinished, reconed, rewired and they sit in the corner as back-up to the Studiomasters.

Attachments

• stereo 09262011 001.jpg
    stereo 09262011 001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 137
Man, I love those old "r" series CV's, I almost had my hands on a pair of 1976 417r's, they are not supposed to have red surrounds, but they still look nice with or without red. Those walnut veneered cabinets and grills make me drool! :drool:

I wished CV would have at least put real walnut veneer on the big D series, such as the D-7 & D-9's.

Yeah, you don't run across these that often down here. Cabinets are very well built, quality veneer. Rated 450 watts, they are probably responsible for that "eeeeeeeeeeeee" sound in my right ear.

Saw an add in the local market, "speakers for sale -cerwin vega 20 euros"
I first thought that it must be some small bookshelf model for that price so i waited 2 days but then i got to curios...what if it were a pair of the good old models so i called the owner and got really excited when he said that he had bought them new in 1981 and still had the receipt for them, they had been on his attic for the past 7 years since his wife didnt like them (seems to be common :) )
Anyway, i went to check them out and then i saw that they were no small bookshelf speakers after all, it was a pair of U-123 in great condition!!
They still need a refoam but i was really surprised over the nice sound they produced! I tried some vocal music and country and it all sounded good, really good for only 20 euros :)

Some pics, more when i have refoamed them!
The amp is a dared mp-7 (2x7w class A) tube amp if anyone wonders, this is my bedroom rig so i don't need any high volume in there.

42720121220372f7e.jpg

3572012122445e807.jpg

e772012122606bb4c.jpg

8472012122810d059.jpg

bb72012122912b3fd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom