Post Your Riding Mowers, New and Old

That rig's worth a full resto. A MULTITUDE of uses. Guy won't work on it?

Find another old guy:)

Mom has an old Amish mechanic says he can fix it. Yeah, I know, right?
I've hauled this big ass thing everywhere. Just trying to do right by the mother figure. If it were me, I'd have sold it for scrap many years ago. It's pretty cool, but hardly worth the money, I think.

Time for a CL listing ... just try and get your money back on the parts maybe. They get that old, and it starts being a cascading failure scenario. You fix this, it breaks that, you fix that, it breaks something else. My neighbors went through a couple years worth of that on their trusty old Deere and finally took it out to the back 40 and shot it.

Sometimes ya just gotta let em go.

So, have we decided which is better ... the classics or the new? Tube or tubeless? <G>

This Cub Cadet is just like my 1987 Honda CRX. I LOVED that little thing, but the paucity of parts and people willing to work on a 25 year old econobox, well, it was laughable how much I put into it. (hint, nearly 5 figures. OUCH!)

Of course, it had nitrous and a built engine....heh heh.

Mhardy, I never cease to be amazed by your beautiful scenery.

Had that happen with my trusty old Honda track drive snowblower. Lost a couple clutches and couldn't find replacements. Reverse still worked, and so did top gear.

I gave it to the neighbor who was still young enough to keep up with it ... <G>

Ooooh...I bought a Cub Cadet zero turn with 180 hours on it. DSC00104.jpg

I'm doing some preventative maintenance to the deck before I start using it.
DSC00105.jpg

SAME EXACT ONE my mom has in her shed. Deck is all mangled from running over a rocky outcropping or some such. Busted the deck all to pieces.

Decks always go first. Replacements cost about 60% of buying the same model mower new. Crazy man.

I get a thrill out of the zero turn aspect. It's like an amusement park ride.

Did you notice the reinforcement rings around the spindles? They can be used to repair decks, or put on to prevent damage. They came from eBay (or Amazon). 3/16 plate plasma cut; less than $15.00 delivered.

The rings are made for many different mowers.

I indeed noticed that. Sweet.

Recently picked up a second hand riding mower for 92 bucks (dumbass brother in law took it to service shop TWO YEARS AGO and I only had to pay the bill....of course it now needed more work, mostly carb).

No sooner made 3 passes around mom's yard, when I hit a water maple root, and bend a blade. No biggie, right?? Well, that blade was FROZEN ON. PB blaster, a 6 foot prybar, you name it. Hell, I even tried the hot wrench. Nothing. So I got mad and physically bent it with some oversized pliers (the biggest ever) within a 1/2 inch of right.

Hadn't had it going a week, when the widower down the street offered to buy. I said sure, i'll let you have it for 100. (far too cheap, but he's a sweet old guy). He asks to borrow it, and says he'll pay me in 1 week.

Been 2 months, and haven't seen the cash yet.

Pity is an expensive feeling.

I acquired a late model John Deere L110 from my late uncle. It's the MTD built one, same as a Scott. Unfortunately the deck is mangled on it, and it's sitting 500 miles away. It's not worth the cost to haul and rebuild. It will go to auction.

Word of caution to anyone hauling a rider with a plastic hood; strap it down.

I indeed noticed that. Sweet.

Recently picked up a second hand riding mower for 92 bucks (dumbass brother in law took it to service shop TWO YEARS AGO and I only had to pay the bill....of course it now needed more work, mostly carb).

No sooner made 3 passes around mom's yard, when I hit a water maple root, and bend a blade. No biggie, right?? Well, that blade was FROZEN ON. PB blaster, a 6 foot prybar, you name it. Hell, I even tried the hot wrench. Nothing. So I got mad and physically bent it with some oversized pliers (the biggest ever) within a 1/2 inch of right.

Hadn't had it going a week, when the widower down the street offered to buy. I said sure, i'll let you have it for 100. (far too cheap, but he's a sweet old guy). He asks to borrow it, and says he'll pay me in 1 week.

Been 2 months, and haven't seen the cash yet.

Pity is an expensive feeling.

An impact wrench is by far the easiest, and sometimes the only way to get them off. Just wear a good glove and grab the blade, rattle, zip.

Better ask the widower if he's done with test drive. :yes:

I googled "drag mower" and went to images. There are some wild ones out there.

Attachments

• Picture-39.jpg
    Picture-39.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I googled "drag mower" and went to images. There are some wild ones out there.

What came to my twisted mind immediately was guys dressed in drag, racing on riding mowers. Now that would be worth watching. There would be a Carmen Miranda class where every driver has to wear a hat laden with fruit, and it has to stay on for the whole race. :banana:

Gravely Pro Turn 472
Air ride seat , Cell Phone charger .... 35 horse engine will cut anything.

20150603_113722_zpsc9xcqaey.jpg

Last edited:
An impact wrench is by far the easiest, and sometimes the only way to get them off. Just wear a good glove and grab the blade, rattle, zip.

Better ask the widower if he's done with test drive. :yes:

Would you believe I used an impact wrench!? yeah. Didn't budge, it only deafened me.

Last promise of payment from my neighbor was Aug 16th. I've written it off, and besides, it's a cheap way to keep him out of my yard. All the time stopping to shoot the shit, which is fine, but he's a bit daffy, and you cannot get away. He misses the body language clues that I'm needing to do other things besides jaw. Strangely, him owing me has cut those visits down considerably. :scratch2::yes:

Isn't that funny, there are people like that all over, who just don't pick up on social clues. I had a guy in my office (cube farm that is) who would eat all the Starbursts in the little can on my desk. So I'd let it sit empty for a day or two before refilling it. One day I came in and was filled up. He had rooted around my office to find where I hid the supply so he could refill it himself. The surrounding staff told him it was not a good idea. The can and the supply have both gone home for awhile. Hopefully that will get through, but with scientists, you never know. :dunno: :D

That's egregious behavior, right there.

Good news is, my wife, feeling pity on me for having to mow both mine and my mother's yard, and being in the field all summer installing solar, bought me a BRAND NEW Craftsman 19 HP monster. It has i-beams for control arms, grease points, just a sweet ride. We call it Christine, as it is blood red.

Only problem is, this was an emotion-based purchase. I only have half an acre, and most of that is garden. She's a good gal, the wife, but didn't really think that one out.

That's egregious behavior, right there.

Good news is, my wife, feeling pity on me for having to mow both mine and my mother's yard, and being in the field all summer installing solar, bought me a BRAND NEW Craftsman 19 HP monster. It has i-beams for control arms, grease points, just a sweet ride. We call it Christine, as it is blood red.

Only problem is, this was an emotion-based purchase. I only have half an acre, and most of that is garden. She's a good gal, the wife, but didn't really think that one out.

My JD is way too big for my 0.3 acre lot, but I use it to haul stuff around in a trailer, and some day when the old one up at the shop-in-the-woods dies, I'll have to haul it up there too. Plus, we can mow the lawn (and the edges with the push mower) in 45 mins. Life is too short to waste it push mowing if you can help it...

Back
Top Bottom