Potential New Speakers but Need Work - DFS

judsonw

I came across and ad for a pair of DFS speaker cabinets and it is enticing, but the ad does mention that putting new drivers in would result in a nice set of speakers. There are drivers in it right now, but I am not sure their quality.

This thread here is one of the few things I found that had info about the brand. Having never done restoration stuff with speakers before, how involved is it to get new drivers and install them? I found that Parts Express definitely carries a lot of drivers, so I am guessing it is a matter of finding the right size and impedance, but are there other things to be concerned about?

Here are a couple pictures from the ad:

00B0B_k48QgcNNXjF_600x450.jpg
00I0I_SFTU8zpoUZ_600x450.jpg

They are big, they are heavy, but they seem like they have potential. I am assuming that when replacing drivers you want to get close to the original specs as far as impedance to not mess with the circuitry too much.

(Yes, I realize that by posting this, someone might see it, find it, and scoop me for it, but that is ok. These are not speakers I feel I must absolutely have, but ones that intrigue me and depending on the work needed and such... maybe I will get.)

I would suggest either buying or not based only on how they sound as they are now. It's very easy to suggest that other people fix something (while charging a price that includes the bump of possible dazzling results), but what you are buying is the speaker, not a great idea.
Big speakers can be very appealing even if the drivers aren't all that superduper, so they may sound good to you. If they sound good, they might sound slightly better with a recap, but when you get into changing drivers, it gets complicated. Swapping the front tweeter might be easy. Doing much else will be dicier.

Replacing drivers with a match is a fool's errand, in my humble opinion. Have you heard them? Any drivers bad? Do they need a refoam??

A recap would certainly improve the high end at this point.

My opinion would be to place your time, efforts, and money elsewhere, unless of course you have a lot of time and money to just experiment. It would be a great learning experience if that's what you have in mind. Try anything once, live and learn. Keep us posted!

I'd move on if any of the drivers are bad. Even if they all work honestly.
Randomly replacing drivers is not a good idea money or sound-wise.

I will say the enticing aspect of them was that they were listed as $35 for the pair. I have not heard them, but after talking with a friend here, I decided on passing on them. Lugging them up to my third floor apartment does not sound like a fun idea, and I have doubts that 30 WPC would be enough for them.

Thank you for all of the input. I will be back if I happen to find a project to tackle; just won't be this project.

Back
Top Bottom