Potential problem with Sansui SE-99 EQ

kotofei

permanent gear evolution
I looked for a Sansui SE-99 equalizer for a long time and finally got one off epay as a Christmas present.

The seller listed it as "used" i.e. in apparently working condition. However, upon powering up if beeped and one of two EQ displays lit on only partially and didn't display the expected array of horizontal bars in the middle. Turned it off and on again; same thing. Only at the third time both displays lit the same way as in picture listed in epay auction i.e. array of horizontal bars at the middle. Those bars moved dependent of the music input signal although not to the full scale and in a kind of anemic way.

I used it for 10 minutes or so, then powered it off. Powered back on right away and the problem returned as described above then powered off and on again with the same result.

Thus, the Sansui's displays lit properly only upon powering on and off 2-3 times, not straight up. I got the user manual from the Web and it says nothing about this.

What this could mean? The SE-99 is a computer controlled equalizer with most of the functions operated by a remote display with microphone or something called "light pen". I didn't get either of those with my SE-99 and was willing to make replacement parts as some AK members did. However, now I'm afraid some part(s) inside the Sansui are damaged or slowly dying and if it's a microprocessor the whole thing might not be repairable. In this case, perhaps I should return it or open an epay case; OTOH, if such a behavior could be easily fixed I'll prefer to go this way.

Most likely bad contact somewhere. Take off cover, power it up and wiggle all connectors and wires you can reach.
Observe display behavior. Chances are you'll zero in on a culprit.

EDIT

You do realize that without light pen its just a display.
Nothing you can do with it really.

Last edited:
Sansui SE-99 display

Hello Kotofei
I hope you solved your problem but if not I have to tell you that I have just repaired display (with symptoms identical to yours) in my SE-99. The problem was in bad contact between spring ended pins and very thin metal coating on the edge of display glass surface. I have carefully dismounted the unfunctional pins from the glass and used special silver (electricity coducting) glue for new flexible wire connection. If you are still interested in repair of your dispaly I can give you more vital details how to do it.
Regrads
Przem

Thank you Przem,

I actually sold mine. This problem was intermittent and sometimes didn't manifest itself at all.

The REAL problem was absence of remote or the light pen so the Sansui was just a nice box with lights. Worse, those dancing lights distracted me from listening too much.

Hello Kotofei
I hope you solved your problem but if not I have to tell you that I have just repaired display (with symptoms identical to yours) in my SE-99. The problem was in bad contact between spring ended pins and very thin metal coating on the edge of display glass surface. I have carefully dismounted the unfunctional pins from the glass and used special silver (electricity coducting) glue for new flexible wire connection. If you are still interested in repair of your dispaly I can give you more vital details how to do it.
Regrads
Przem

Sansui SE-99 display

Hello Kotofei
Regrads
Przem

Hi,

Can you please post the procedure of how you repaired your display? Where to find the flexible conductive glue etc...
Thank you!

I'm also having display problems with my SE-99. Unfortunately, the tube is a goner due to an open heater. One of the heater wires broke and was shorting some of the grids together. I tried (unsuccessfully) to burn out the short, but it just made things worse.

Let me know if you ever find a source for a replacement display, or decide not to repair your SE-99 and would be willing to sell parts. I'm reasonably confident that I could repair the connections on the edge of the display with conductive paint or epoxy.

My SE-99 right display bottom, 2 horizontal segments are slightly dim. Look at the right side display vs left at the two horizontal rows.

20uzxbn.jpg

Here is the issue: (The ultra thin heater wire is broken and all bunched up on the left. Hopefully it will not short the rest of them)
nvnrqo.jpg

2z4mww1.jpg

Last edited:
That's the same problem mine had. The heater was shorting to one of the grids, so I attempted to burn away the short, but it just made things worse. There must have been a manufacturing problem with this batch of displays because I've never seen this happen to any other VFD. It was even the same heater in the right hand display that broke in mine. Le me know if you ever find a source of displays, or decide to part yours out.

Back
Top Bottom