POTS THAT ARE FROZEN.....

boatdrinks77

whats the best way to loosen up old pots that are frozen ?? I'm assuming the grease on the shafts have hardened over the years... I cannot move them with the knobs on (I'm afraid i'll break the knob) but I can move them with a pair of pliers grabbing the shaft, but it's still tough to turn..... 002.JPG

Whats your guy's suggestions ???

I wish there were a forum titled "REPAIR QUESTIONS" I never know where to post these kinds of questions..... Thanks in advance, Dan :music:

If they are aluminum the shaft can be galled, and almost welded to the bushing (Heathkit comes to mind),,, I've taken them apart to try to clean, but they are usually "corroded"and won't turn smoothly... I usually replace them, if that's the case, and they are available,,,, brass shafts /bushings normally can be cleaned and re-lubed,,, dis similar metals, brass bushings, aluminum shaft for instance, can also get galled, specially in damp locations, and no lube left on them.... My experience, of course...

I had the same problem with some old Dynaco pots. A little WD-40 on the shafts broke them free. Let them sit a bit before turning them. One NOS Dynaco pot I ordered came frozen and would not break free. The vendor sent a new one to replace it. Ive had good luck with Break Free also. The squeeze bottle, not the spray. Read the label though. One is to loosen corrosion, the other to lube.

if you must use WD-40 at least get the stuff with lubricant in it .
plus gas or similar is my choice with stuff like this .also gentle heat from hair drier .

I've used clear plastic hose in a size that fits over the threads and positioned the controls so they are facing up. Then fill the tubes with your lubricant/penetrating fluid of choice and let it sit. After a day or so try wiggling them back and forth a bit and see if there is any movement. If not then give it another day. I've not had to wait more than a day before they started working again though.
I've used Remoil, Hoppes 9 and Faderlube with good success.

Thanks guys, I needed that reassurance to use WD40 on the shaft side. I will put some on, let st overnight --- I can rotate the shafts with pliers, so the are not completely frozen up. Dan :music:

Sprayed shafts with WD40 and let the post sit overnight. Had to use pliers to move them back and forth --- a little better than they were. More WD40 and waited overnight again. Still pretty difficult to turn with pliers but a little better. Had my son spray WD40 while I turned the pot shaft and it got much better.... waited 15 minutes and they really loosened up. They move great now. Perseverance paid off. Dan :music:

I'm sure you know this but I would be real careful with those pliers so you don't chew up the shaft

I struggled freeing a pot on a Fisher valve amp recently and followed all the advice given and it wasn't until l used a hair dryer set on hot that it freed up.
Admittedly a lot of what I'd sprayed previously could have helped but it didn't budge one iota until the hair dryer

Back
Top Bottom