Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Poultrygeist, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

On the opposite side of the room from the Zeniths are these Lowther DX-3s over flat baffle Alphas. I swapped the gear after taking this picture and the Lowthers are back to being powered by the Bottlehead SET and the Zeniths are driven by the Zolt+ TPA3118.

Not counting the six 15" OB woofers I'm using four subs in this room so bass is not an issue.

[​IMG]

2. Poultrygeist

I know the following might sound like overkill for a medium sized room but I'm trying to utilize a lot of what I've collected over the years.

The sources I use in this room at the moment include an iMac, two DACs ( Schiit Modi MB and Audio GD NFB 12 ), two Chrome Cast Audio streamers, two SACD players ( Marantz SA8004 and Sony SCD-CE595 ), Apple TV, Technics SL-1300 turn table ( Jolida JD9 phono preamp, and Shure M97xe ), Panasonic DMP-BDT210 blu-ray and Sansui analog tuner.

Amps/preamps used in the room include Bottlehead 2a3 mono-blocks/Bottlehead Foreplay III, Volt+ TPA3118/Nobsound NS-O1P, TPA3116 green board/SainSmart and Miniwatt APPJ S1. Power supplies are linear regulated from Astron and Pyramid.

OB speakers include flat baffle Lowther DX-3's and Zenith over H-frames. Full range single drivers are the Tekton Fostex 4.5 bass reflex alternating with Frugal Horn MkIII's. Overnight Sensations and Dayton Airs sometimes rotate in an out.

Subs ( not counting OB woofers ) are two bucket subs and two Daytons.

The heart of a fourth system resides behind the door of the left built-in cabinet and it consists of an old Marantz Model 1150 powering d-room Pioneer BoFu speakers and porch Axioms/Marcato outdoor sub. It's sources includes a Sony SACD changer and tuner.

Next is the garage systems but we won't go there. :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

3. You are gonna need to change your avatar! :D

Ds2000 likes this.
  4. StevenZ

StevenZ Texas or nothin'

Awesome, very cool! Wish I could hear those in person.

5. Poultrygeist

For several years I've read with interest all the buzz surrounding vintage Magnavox amps which are usually harvested from old consoles. I saw this Dennis Had EL84 Magnavox single ended amp on the auction site and scooped it up. It has the original iron and chassis but everything else has been updated including mods to the circuit. This one uses a single 7308 rather than a 12AX7 preamp tube. It only makes 4 wpc but those few watts sound really special. The color Dennis says is "Jaguar Almond". FWIW Dennis Had is the founder of Cary Audio and was chief engineer there so he knows his way around tube amps. The single ended Magnavox amps are not as common as the more powerful push pulls which can be easily identified by their four EL-84 vs the two for the SE versions. It's easy though to mistake the SE for the mono versions which also have two EL84 tubes. For the time being I'm really enjoying the little Magnavox with the big Zenith speakers. So just like it says in the song, "Everything Old Is New Again". :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Ds2000 likes this.
  6. Poultrygeist

7. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

I can only imagine how good your amp must sound. I can't get enough of my "new" Maggie which has had only minimal restoration done. They do indeed have some magic in their DNA.

8. Poultrygeist

Ross,

I'm neglecting my 2a3 SET Bottleheads as the Maggie is that good. Hopefully I can learn new ways of posting pictures since PB screwed me over.

9. cubdog

Yes, I went to look at a picture of your amp again, among other things, but can no longer see them. Not good, we all enjoy your photos.

10. Poultrygeist

11. Poultrygeist

Somehow I was able to pull the picture off my desktop.

12. Poultrygeist

s-l1600-2.jpg

Think I'm getting the hang of it.

Ds2000 likes this.
  13. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

does the upload file button work

14. Poultrygeist

15. Poultrygeist

16. Poultrygeist

I had these pictures on my desk top, clicked the camera icon and dragged them down. Bingo

17. cubdog

Outstanding. Fine looking amp. Thanks for the pictures Paul.

18. cubdog

I wonder why Dennis wired in the power cord? I had my guy just put in a receptacle. Just more convenient I think.

19. Poultrygeist

Maybe old school? It's thick and heavy duty.

Dennis says these old console maggies have "plenty of reserve power transformer horse power". Rebuilding the Magnavox "inspired" Dennis to start his retirement amp business. That's where he came up with the name Inspire.

20. Poultrygeist

I just moved a picture from PB to my desk top. Hope it works from there. Looks like it does and it's a picture of my best sounding OB's

P1010017.jpg

cubdog and Ds2000 like this.