Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

The APPJ/Miniwatt drives these Tektons. Barely visible in this picture is one of two bucket subs powered by a Yung plate amp. The Tektons sounded a little dull on the bookcase but on stands in near field they sound terrific.

P1010006.jpg

My wife uses the FROG ( front room over garage ) as a sewing room. She wanted audio and video there so I came up with this: a Roku streaming Pandora into a PC monitor. The A/V receiver is a JVC class D powering Dayton B652 speakers.

P1010026.jpg

At first I placed the speakers on the bottom shelf but they sounded terrible as I knew they would. Then I placed them behind the monitor firing forward and that was much better but not great. I then turned them firing to each side and that sounded the best. I would have spread them apart but the wife said no.

I connected the Roku HDMI to the monitor and then an optical cable from the monitor out to the A/V receiver input. The Roku also streams all the regular cable tv stations. Wifey seems pretty happy with this arrangement.

P1010020.jpg

Last edited:
As I've said before the only constant in my systems is change. What great fun it is to switch gear around. Here are some Fostex Tektons full range single drivers in near field powered by a Volt+ while a plate amp drives two bucket subs in each corner of the room. An Audio GD DAC and Integra DPS-7.2 are sources. A Nobsound passive preamp controls the sub's output and passes the signal to the Volt+ unaltered. Love this configuration and plan to try the Frugal Horns in place of the Tektons. Also working with B&G planar tweeters to see if I can integrate them with the Frugals.

P1010009 2.jpg

As much as I've enjoyed the Fostex Tektons with the Volt+ in the previous post, this combination is even better. I built four Frugal Horns several years ago and had been using them in a 5.1 HT along with a diy Fostex center. They share the same drivers with the Tektons so this weekend I moved the Tektons to the rear surround HT system and the Frugals to this system. I'm also using the Volt+D rather than the Volt+. I added some B&G planar tweeters which give some really nice air to the Frugal Horns. These tweeters radiate front and back in a figure 8 pattern. Cymbals shimmer with enhanced decay and the high notes of a clarinet are crystal clear. I used a single audio grade cap on the tweeters and the Volt+D powers both the tweets and the Fostex mains. The bucket subs still augment the bass.

P1010023.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom