Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

Good stuff Poultry, I always enjoy watching your journey and sometimes wish I were more of a DIYer.

is there any info re: the modded PS 5501 anywhere?

It was a given to me by a friend who mods the 5501's and sells them on Audiogon in exchange for several stock 5501's.

He says the SCPH 5501 is the best of the PS ones to modify ( better laser ). Mine has an internal remote control and weighs about twice the standard weight of a stock 5501. The original 5501 does not have RCA's outputs which were added to this one.

I've never opened it up to look insides but it sounds much better than the more common SCPH 1001.

Good stuff Poultry, I always enjoy watching your journey and sometimes wish I were more of a DIYer.

You certainly could be if you wanted to.

What little I've accomplished is pretty basic stuff. Start simple and learn as you go.

Thanks guys. Here's the $50 6n3 tube preamp I placed in two drawer organizers.

When I hear folks trash the cheap Chinese stuff it makes me wonder if they've ever listened to any of it or is it just speculation?

picture.php

Last edited:
Very nice!!! I think you have it all covered. So my question to you is this, If you had to go to one set of OB speakers what would they be? Or to put it another way, what OB build would you recommend to someone starting from scratch. My primary interest is tubes and jazz, female vocals, light rock, small room.

On the opposite wall I have the Tekton's powered by a TPA 3116 using an Aric tube preamp. The sources are a Sony SACD changer, Integra CDP and Sony tuner. The Dared shown here is now on the main wall. A JVC class D powers the OB Alpha woofers which are pulled out of the bookcase when used. The old Marantz drives porch Axioms and outdoor sub.

picture.php

I am absolutely puzzled by the speaker in the bottom right of this picture. Is that supposed to be a subwoofer with no enclosure???

I am absolutely puzzled by the speaker in the bottom right of this picture. Is that supposed to be a subwoofer with no enclosure???

They're two Eminence Alpha 15 inch open baffle woofers which are pulled out into the room when in use. Not much to them but a flat baffle on a base with a 80hz low pass filter. I'll see if I can find another picture.

Here are a couple of 16" high qts bass woofers I pulled from some Sansui's left on the curb. They can add some nice natural bass to most systems without the "room loading" you get from some subs. A good choice for apartment dwellers as the sound doesn't travel through walls like a conventional sub.

picture.php

Here are a couple of 16" high qts bass woofers I pulled from some Sansui's left on the curb. They can add some nice natural bass to most systems without the "room loading" you get from some subs. A good choice for apartment dwellers as the sound doesn't travel through walls like a conventional sub.

picture.php

Those are cool! Do they throw out as much SPL as an enclosed woofer?

Hi

What can you can recommend for the bass section? Two Alpha's each side on plain baffle or two Alpha's each side in H-frames?

Thank you!

If you have the room two Alphas per side in H-frames

What configuration are you referring to Paul? When you say two Alphas per side in H-frames are you saying four separate enclosures for the Alphas or two per box. I don't remember when you've discussed either of these type of options. :scratch2:

cubdog

I have my active set at 150 when bi-amping the Lowthers and Alphas.

But some of the FR speakers I run full range straight off their amp with just a low pass 80hz filter on the separately amped Alphas. I want to try some Fmods at some point since they, like an active crossover, are installed upstream of the amp.

Back
Top Bottom