Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

Although off topic, what home system would be complete without one of these? Grady's older now at 3 months and weighs 15+ lbs.

If given the chance he'd cut his teeth on my OB's :yes:

PC090008.jpg

My latest:

Another TPA3116 chip amp ( not to be confused with your everyday t-amp ) mated to an Astron linear power supply. This time it's a Sure TPA3116 with hockey puck cooling fins.

The case is a $2 picture frame from Ikea with a plexi top from Lowes. I call it a "Glass D" :D

P3220030.jpg

When I finish my red neck bucket subs ( pictures to follow ) I hope to start a new fun project.

I plan to incorporate a TPA3116, an HD tuner and some open baffle speakers in the restoration of my family's old floor standing radio from the 40's.

I put together a couple of systems (vintage) with all the right names and all the right features, etc and my stuff seems down right boring compared to your diy stuff. Bet yours sounds better too :thmbsp:

I put together a couple of systems (vintage) with all the right names and all the right features, etc and my stuff seems down right boring compared to your diy stuff. Bet yours sounds better too :thmbsp:

Thanks and I like your choice of gear as well. You certainly do have some thoroughbreds in your line up.

DIY is not hard if you pick the easy stuff like I do. Open baffles that copy other successful designs and pre-made amp boards are hardly rocket science.

My background is rehab counseling and social work which is far removed from audio and electronics.

I love your Sure 3116/Astron build. What speakers are you currently powering with them?

Today I'm using the TPA3116 with the full range single driver Tektons ( the ones on stands ). With a tube preamp and small sub to augment the low end it's a nice combination.

But as you know the 3116 sounds really good with so many different speakers.

picture.php

Good to see you're crate training Grady! It's the only way to raise a pup in my book. :yes: Lucy and Grady look very content and happy.

We usually have either two or three dogs roaming the house. This is the first time in over thirty years we've only had one. If not for Jasper's cancer I'm sure we'd have another now.

Oh yeah, this is and audio forum. Nice work on that "Glass D" amp!

cubdog

Just finished these Bucket Subs this weekend and I'm really impressed with their very natural and deep bass.

Didn't want mine to look like the Redneck Bucket Subs that they are, so I ordered all black 5 gallon buckets from HD and removed all the labels.

I cut some plywood mounting rings and glued them under the plastic baffle and screwed the woofers to them.

The original plans call for the woofers to be siliconed to the plastic baffle but I didn't want that in case I didn't like the sound. Well I love the sound and couldn't be happier with them.

I used about 30 lbs of concrete in each sub so they're heavy and rock solid.

The plastic chrome ring around the top is automotive door edge trim.

The two are powered by my venerable Yung SD300 which I've used to power several other woofers and sub projects.

Here's the link to the bucket sub plans.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Subwoofer.html

P5080061.jpg

Back
Top Bottom