Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

Are you powering both of them from one plate amp?

Yes.

The Peerless woofers are 8 ohms so when connected in parallel ( i.e. both subs connected to the same two amp terminals ) you get 4 ohms and all of the 300 watts from the plate amp. But you could get by with half the power unless you listen to earth quakes. :D

The Bucket Subs are in the background in this shot.

The room is too lively for decent acoustics but the wife lets me move my gear in there for pictures.

P5080053.jpg

Those buckets turned out great! Well done. Especially like the chrome ring.

So do they sound as good in your system(s) as when you heard them at Ed's place . Now when you have them in house, how do they compare to the Daytons?

One more thing - one idea is to paint your amp enclose black and put a chrome ring on it as well, and you will have a nice matching system.

Those buckets turned out great! Well done. Especially like the chrome ring.

So do they sound as good in your system(s) as when you heard them at Ed's place . Now when you have them in house, how do they compare to the Daytons?

The chrome ring is just plastic car door molding.

Early impressions have me believing they're as good or better than my much
loved 8" Dayton kit subs and the Peerless woofers are still very stiff and not broken-in yet.

I've not cranked either up to see how they compare at wall shaking volume. With jazz I only need to fill out that lower octave and add some bass weight.

Now I've heard Ed's Crown powered bucket play at insane levels with very clean bass but I don't have any interest in trying that.

The plate amp case in the picture matches my Bottlehead gear.

Very nicely done, PG.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing your systems in person, but will wager that you are getting sound that is competitive with systems costing several times more than you have invested.

'Redneck' bucket subs......who'd a thunk it. ;) :)

Thanks.

With some folks it's more about how much they spend on their gear which is often mistakenly equated with performance. With me it's almost a game to see how little I can spend and still get good results.

The tall thin Frugal Horns are a bit tippy so I fashioned these outriggers from some aluminum bars I found cheap on the bay.

I drilled holes and used a thread cutter so the spikes ( also found on the bay ) screw into the bars. The bars were then attached to the bottom of the FH with sheet metal screws.

The top portion which consists of a bolt with it's threads covered by a small PVC section sprayed silver and a bolt head cover has no function and are there for cosmetics.

I attached stick-on felt pads under the foot discs.

Outriggers bought commercially can be quite expensive but four of these cost less than $20.

P5080043.jpg

I was just thinking about doing that kind of outrigger the other day. I have a friend who just started working as a machinist and onlinemetals is just across town.

Yours look great. You have a real gift for taking ordinary things and doing something unexpected and cool with them.

Crusing through this thread has sparked my interest in building some OBs... :scratch2:

Though I don't believe that I have the room for them.

These two speakers started me down the path I've been enjoying now for 7 or 8 years.

The Fostex Tektons I bought having never heard full range single driver speakers before.

The DIY Wild Burro Audio Labs Betsy hooked me on the sound of open baffles.

HPIM3958.jpg

I enjoyed the big Betsy's with their nice mids and highs but realized that they needed bass support. Used this not so great Velodyne sub for awhile. The efficient Betsy's and those Tektons allowed me to use flea power SET amps. Here's the MW APPJ I still use.

HPIM3967.jpg

Back
Top Bottom