1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Poultrygeist, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

After some thought I moved the Frugals to the den corners and now they are a part of a BL horn 5.1 HT.

[​IMG]

2. Poultrygeist

Here's the Frugal Horn HT. The center channel speaker is based on the Fostex plans for the FE126En in a bass reflex enclosure.

[​IMG]

3. Poultrygeist

I first tried the OS speakers in this bookcase but there wasn't enough space behind the rear ports and they sounded terrible. I switched them to the stands and the front ported Tektons went back in the bookcase.

[​IMG]

4. Poultrygeist

To power the Overnight Sensation I'm using this TPA3116 green board with Astron power supply and a Nobsound NS-O1P preamp. Plenty of headroom left at quarter volume.

Also driving a Dayton knock down sub with the Yung SD300 plate amp. But for many the OS bass would be enough.

[​IMG]

5. Poultrygeist

If you want a small speaker that will play with the big boys the Overnight Sensation is worth a hard look.

6. StevenZ

StevenZ Texas or nothin'

Good looking build. I built a pair a looooong time ago and gave them to my brother. He loves them.

Another small speajer definitely worth a look would be the Quark offered by DIYSG.

7. Poultrygeist

The Quarks look like lots of fun.

I probably don't need to buy anything for awhile as I've got too many unused drivers.

I pulled these Zenith 12" alnico wide banders from an old console and they sound really nice in mock up. Hope to try them in open baffles with Alpha 15A's.

[​IMG]

asilker likes this.
  8. Poultrygeist

For anyone considering the Overnight Sensations I wouldn't use a dark stain. Even if you use a pre-stain on the cabs the results on this cheapo plywood may not come out even. I'm basing this on the plywood PE sent me. If you look at the ones in the PE video you'll see what I mean. To be safe I suggest a natural stain or no darker than ipswich pine. I painted the baffles matte black which offers some nice contrast. I think many folks pass them on as the blotchy stain is just too diy ugly.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  9. Poultrygeist

My current bookshelf system looks like this:

Tekton Fostex full range single driver speakers powered by a TPA3116/Astron and 6n3 Sain Smart ( $35 wonder ) plus the bucket subs powered by a 300 watt plate amp. I switched from an Onyko DVD player shown here to a dedicated Sony SACD changer.

There's also an Onkyo T-4555 HD tuner in there along with an old Marantz 1150 powering outdoor Axioms and a Marcato passive sub.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  10. StevenZ

StevenZ Texas or nothin'

Oooo nice looking drivers! My next speakers will be some Omegas Audio alnico speakers. Definitely gotta get back to the single driver portion of audio.

Poultrygeist likes this.
  11. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE AK Subscriber Subscriber

How do you like the Frugals with the super tweets?

12. Poultrygeist

They're a nice addition. I've got the super tweeters padded down so that all they reproduce is some sizzle on top i.e. the shimmer of high hat cymbals.

13. Poultrygeist

Ds2000 likes this.
  14. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

@Poultrygeist while typically I think your dedication to OB is a little crazy, I've got to say you've got some great systems and it's clear you know your stuff :)

This thread is a great read. Thanks for writing this all up. Maybe one day I'll join the OB apostle...

15. Poultrygeist

Thanks for the kind words but I'm still not much more than a beginner.

16. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

The learning experience is what it's all about

17. Poultrygeist

Here's a current picture of Grady who will be 2 years old on 11/1. Man how time flies. It seems like yesterday he was the little pup my wife was holding in the earlier picture. For some reason pets and audio kinda go together. Couldn't live without a dog.

[​IMG]

18. Johnny_Law

Johnny_Law AK Member Subscriber

What'd you do to the PS1? I had to do a double take when I saw a PS1 pop up inbetween all this high tech audio gear!

19. Poultrygeist

Hi Johnny, I can't take credit for the SCPH 5501 which in stock form sounds very good but this one was modded by my engineer friend. He sells these and the SCPH 1001 on Audiogon in a highly modded state using the Dogbreath mods ( see link ) and some of his own such as an internal remote. Mine weighs twice as much as the stock unit.

http://www.dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html

[​IMG]

Johnny_Law likes this.
  20. satorusun

satorusun Well-Known Member

20160827_180752.jpg Here is our mess. No room so we just move things around based on what we want to listen to.

Ds2000 likes this.