Poway Symphony Orchestra - Live Recordings free d/l's, safe

mfrench

Addicted Member
https://archive.org/details/PowaySymphonyOrchestra

I was given permission by the Artistic Director/Conductor, maestro John LoPiccolo, to share my recordings of the PSO publicly via the Live Music Archive, LMA.
>> These are authorized downloads, safe, and legal. No fear in downloading them.

There are two concerts in the main folder, at present; 2016-03-20, and, 2016-05-15
The 2016-03-20 concert is all instrumental, whole show.
The 2016-05-15 concert is part Operatic Arias in the first half (and one instrumental song in the first half), and, all instrumental in the second half.
There are both 16 bit and 24 bit FLAC files contained within the main folder. You can use the filters in the right side column of the main folder to get to either format. The mastering resolution is 44.1khz for all files.
If you want 24 bit, click the 24 bit link, and you'll be presented with those folders. If you want 16 bit, click the 16 bit link, and those folders will be presented.

The recordings were done from the outer edge of the stage lip, in front of first row center. These shared files are four microphone mixes, mixed to two channel stereo

My thoughts:
They both sound really nice. The aural imaging is very broad and with proper depth.
The 03-20 is done with four omnidirectional mics, and is a bit softer in presentation.
The 05-15 recording is done with a pair of directional mics, and a pair of omnidirectional mics, and is more dynamic in presentation.
No processing was done to the recordings, other than the 24bit => 16bit resampling to render the 16 bit files.

Thanks for looking. I hope that you enjoy!

Last edited:
2016-03-20

Program:
(ex: set1_track01 = s1t01)

t01)(s1t01)
Polonaise — P. Tchaikovsky
(From Eugene Onegin)

t02)(s1t02) Preamble to Les Préludes

t03)(s1t03) Les Préludes — F. Liszt

<<< intermission >>>

t04)(s2t01) House-in and Preamble….

Symphony No. 5 in D Major — F Mendelssohn
“Reformation” Op. 107
t05)(s2t02) I. Andante; Allegro con fusco
t06)(s2t03) II. Allegro vivace
t07)(s2t04) III. Andante; Andante con moto
segue >
t07)(s2t04) IV. Allegro vivace; Allegro maestoso

<<< fin >>>

Notes:
Acoustic Ambient Recordings by Mike French
Sennheiser MKE2002 omni pair, as baffled omni stereo
DPA 4060 omni pair as 40” spaced omni pair
Mics at the stage lip edge, center, on same stand. Recorded from first row, center seat.
Tascam DR-70D high-res portable recorder at 24bit/44.1khz

Four mic post processing matrix via Reaper Software at 1:1 ratio, -2dB output attenuation on mix master.
This entire show will fit onto a single CD-R as an audio cd burn.

A huge thanks to Mr. John LoPiccolo, conductor/director of the Poway Symphony Orchestra for his generosity in allowing this Archive.Org music folder; and to the orchestra for the music.

Poway Symphony Orchestra

Classics and Opera concert
John LoPiccolo. conducting

May 15, 2016 sunday 4pm

Poway Center for the Performing Arts
Poway, Ca.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

House-in, preamble by John LoPiccolo

*Alleluia ——— W.A. Mozart
from Exsultate Jubilate

*Quandary me’n vo ——— G. Puccini
from La Bohéme

Egmont Overture ——— L. van Beethoven

*O mio babbino caro ——— G. Puccini

*Ah, fors’e lui…Sempre libera ——— G. Verdi
(with Rudy Ruiz-Velasco, tenor - from stage-left wings)

*Caroline Nelms, soprano

<<< Intermission >>>

Symphony No 104 ——— J. Haydn
I. Adagio — Allegro
II. Andante
III. Menuetto — Trio: Allegro
IV. Finale: Allegro Spitituoso

<<< Fin >>>

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Notes:
Recordings by Mike French
DPA 4060 as 5’+ spaced pair -> DPA MMA6000 mic preamp -> ch.1&2 Tascam DR70D
Line Audio CM3 sub-cardioid pair as wide-DIN stereo 25cm@90º -> ch. 3&4 Tascam DR70D
Tascam DR70D clocked at 24bit 44.1khz
From first row, center - Mics at 6’ above stage level - Tall Manfrotto mic stand on orchestra pit floor.
Four Mic Mix by Reaper Software, and resampling -- other edits by Sound Studios

Thanks for sharing! Just finished transferring the 24-bit files to my NAS. Really enjoy what I've listened to so far.:music:

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I'm interested in minimally-mic'd, live/direct to 2-track recording and should like to meet you, someday.
I'm in Chula Vista and enjoy listening to your recordings. Thanks! :beerchug:

Best,
Sam

Hi Sam, @c1ferrari

I love two mic, two channel minimalist recordings. I've been experimenting this season with four mic mixes. They are not complex mixes though; just the tiniest notch up from minimalist.. There are no spot mics, or anything like that. The four mics are spread across the front of the stage, parallel to the orchestras front edge, and out away from them, perhaps 8 to 10 feet. I run just enough cable to get back to the recording rig; in the instance of PSO, I record from first row center, so the cable run is short. Nobody likes to sit that close to the orchestra, which gives me the whole first row to myself. It helps keep from me being a distraction.
The mics run from compact in size, to miniature.
/rambling
You should come see them. Ticket prices are next to nothing at $10; and its open seating, so you pick your place. There is a balcony or sloped floor seating. The hall is a great sounding room too.
If you do come out to a show, follow the cables from the mics, and you'll find me there.

Hi Sam, @c1ferrari

I love two mic, two channel minimalist recordings. I've been experimenting this season with four mic mixes. They are not complex mixes though; just the tiniest notch up from minimalist.. There are no spot mics, or anything like that. The four mics are spread across the front of the stage, parallel to the orchestras front edge, and out away from them, perhaps 8 to 10 feet. I run just enough cable to get back to the recording rig; in the instance of PSO, I record from first row center, so the cable run is short. Nobody likes to sit that close to the orchestra, which gives me the whole first row to myself. It helps keep from me being a distraction.
The mics run from compact in size, to miniature.
/rambling
You should come see them. Ticket prices are next to nothing at $10; and its open seating, so you pick your place. There is a balcony or sloped floor seating. The hall is a great sounding room too.
If you do come out to a show, follow the cables from the mics, and you'll find me there.

Good morning, Mike,

I should do this! :bigok:

I haven't had a chance to grab more of these, but I really enjoyed that Poway recording you posted awhile back. So I'm just bumping this so I don't forget to go back for more.
Thanks again!

My pleasure. I blabber enough about minimalist recordings; now maybe folks can hear for themselves what they're capable of.

The reason that I started this thread, is that I had only announced these files in the Classical Music thread in the Music forum, and maybe in the Live Music thread. So, I thought that they'd be appreciated by a larger group as well.
I'd been thinking about this thread, and things kept getting in the way, and I'd forget about doing so. Then a couple of days ago (the day that I started the thread), I received a package from a videographer that I've worked with at these concerts. He'd asked if I might supply my recordings for a video-DVD that he produces, that in part, is used to fund the orchestra (he makes some and contributes some). I was all to glad to help.
Well, a couple of days ago, I received a copy of the finished video. I tore into the mailer like a kid at xmas.
DSCN3134large_zpsgqvduph7.jpg
I've never seen such a thing before. Its is a professional multi-camera shot. Its all done from the balcony at first row center, and with tripods. The video quality is excellent (at least to my no-nothing knowledge of videos).
To see my name on there was really cool.

Last edited:
Poway Symphony Orchestra
John LoPiccolo conducting, artistic director

Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak concert
2016/2017 Season Premiere
November 20, 2016
Sunday 4pm
Poway Center for the Performing Arts
Poway, California

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Program:

t.01
House-In - Tuning - Announcements - Preamble
Bad P.A. mic feedback issues during announcement (removed from finished tracks)

t.02
Leonore Overture No. 2 — L. van Beethoven

t.03 -> t.05
Concerto for Flute and Harp — W.A. Mozart
I. Allegro — II. Andantino — III. Rondo: Allegro
Jane Mansur, flute
Naomi Alter, harp

<< intermission >>

t.01
House-In - Tuning - Preamble

t.02 -> t.05
Symphony No. 8 — A. Dvorak
I. Allegro con brio
II. Adagio
III. Allegretto gracioso - Molto vivace
IV. Allegro ma non troppo

<< fin >>

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Acoustic Ambient Recording by Mike French
Two, two channel stereo recordings (matrix in post-edit)
DPA 4060 omnidirectional pair, spaced 10’ -> DPA MMA6000 +18dB analog gain
Line Audio CM3 sub-cardioid pair as wide-DIN 25cm spacing @ 90º axis
Tascam DR70D hi-rez audio recorder 24bit 44.1khz
Channels 1&2 DPA 4060, Ext. Stereo TRS Inputs
Channels 3&4 L.A. CM3 xlr Inputs
From first row, center, at ~6’ above stage height

This is the 1644 link: https://archive.org/details/pso2016-11-20
The 24 bit file link has been added.
This is the 2444 link: https://archive.org/details/pso2016-11-20.pso2016-11-20_flac2444

A1_DSCN3213.jpg

Last edited:
Sam, @c1ferrari

Honestly, I do not know what they'll be performing then.
I'm a volunteer, in support of the orchestra. But I'm not a musician. I just show up about two hours before the show, set rig up, and catch the final rehearsal just before the show. That is my soundcheck.
It would be great to see/meet you there. Its a wonderful venue, with great sound. The orchestra plays their hearts out. The maestro is a very nice guy, warm and gracious. Its a good time.

Back
Top Bottom