POWDER COAT QUESTION

ChuckW

I have a Spec 1 and 2 that need all of the steel panels refinished. I want to have them powder coated but I dont know which black color and texture to ask for to make them look factory. Anyone have an answer?

Stay away from glossy. Its a finger print magnet.:biggrin: Welcome to AK..

Satin gloss is usually best for chassis that are black. Like avionic said gloss holds fingerprints.

Just sandblasting?

Not sure to be honest. Sandblasting may be a bit too aggressive and pit the metal. Ask your powder coater guy as they should provide the surface prep as part of the service.
I'd hazard a guess and say they either use a gentle media blast or some kind of stripping solution.

Bead blasting is the safest blasting method which is used on alloy surfaces which are soft, thus it won't hurt steel. I actually spend the time on rubbing mine back with wet and dry paper and then priming all surfaces with a good etch primer, then a light rubbing back again followed with an epoxy satin black paint and now it looks absolutely superb. As mentioned previously don't use gloss and not matte either for that matter.

Can't find the damned receipt. Things are a mess around here lately. I took my SPEC 2 panels to a place called Vyne Powder Coating in Mesa, AZ. I don't believe they used sand as the blasting media but it ended up getting blasted. They were concerned about the vent slots on the top panel being too weak for blasting but they did a sample spot on the panel and said blasting wouldn't be a problem as the original paint came off in seconds. Otherwise, it would have been sent out for chemical stripping. Very thoughtful of them to think of this as I hadn't considered the weakened metal in the slot area of the panel as being a potential problem. I didn't go completely flat in color and there is no way to get the spatter effect in powder coating. I have seen electronic equipment enclosures/cabinets that have the spatter effect paint that the original Pioneer equipment used but I have no idea where the companies manufacturing these cabinets get their paint done. Would be nice to know. Anyway, I chose powder coating for its durability and long-life finish.

Back
Top Bottom