Power amp question (140?)

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I'm having Bad Ideas again.

I have a 4270 that a friend gave me and it's now all fixed up and working mostly well. I have a CD-400 also, still keeping an eye out for a SQA-2(whatever).

I had the possibly dumb idea of if I do find a SQ board for this to put the Marantz in the bedroom in the place of the Sansui QRX-7001 that's there now. I'm using an Oppo BDP-103 to downmix 5.1/7.1 sources to 4.0 and using the discrete inputs on the Sui. Actually works well. The only thing is, the front speakers in the bedroom are Infinity RS-5b hence the thought of using the Marantz instead. I was going to use the 4270 with the front channels going to the built in power amp and then using either a Dynaco ST-120 or a Harman/Kardon HK770 for the rears. But then I thought, wouldn't it be cool to get a Marantz power amp instead?

So not being really familiar with their offerings back then I fired up the google machine, and it appears that a 140DC is a good match power wise. Has anyone tried this, and can anyone tell me if the case for the 140DC is approximately the same size as the 4270 so they'd look right together visually?

Am I insane for even trying to put together a big power quad system?

The 140 is 3 inches narrower than your 4270, the 170DC is about 3/4 inch narrower. Why not just buy a 4400? Big power quad system in one convenient 60# box, rated for 50W x 4, but makes well over that. I really should test the one I just restored to see what it can do.

You might be insane, but I think quad is fun too. :D

'cause I have the 4270 already :)

It's got pre outs, so I can use the built in amps for 2x75 and then an outboard amp for the other two...

'cause I have the 4270 already :)

It's got pre outs, so I can use the built in amps for 2x75 and then an outboard amp for the other two...

Thats exactly how I'm using my 4270 and 140.
Got my 4270 in 2x70 powering a set of front speakers in my living room then coming out the pre-amp to feed the 140 to power a set of outdoor patio speakers.
Sounds great
Smokey

Jumping in for a second....could a 4400 be used as a 4-channel amp separated from the rest of the unit? I have a home theater Pre/Proc in my office and I need 4 channels of amplification for the side and rear surrounds. Thanks for advice....never even seen a 4400.

...oops, never mind....didn't realize the 4400 was a receiver. Sorry....carry on.

You could still use it as a power amp, although it'd be a waste of the pre and tuner, if it has pre outs/main ins. My 4270 does so I'd assume a 4400 would as well, seeing as it seems to be an even higher end model.

Back
Top Bottom