power amps and price

Robpar

Ok, so I am confused: Why is a Crown XLS 1502 rated at 300W/channel
so much less expensive than say... NAD C275BEE or Parasound 2250 or Halo A21?
Is there that much of difference in sound quality?
I see reviews of the Crown and seem to be very positive... Looking at more powerful amp for music (speakers are Polk Rti12's and 90-RT)

Crown is situated in the sound reinforcement camp. NAD, Parasound, sit in the home audio amp. Different markets, different design goals, different products. Certainly, different marketing strategies. Sound quality is a nebulous thing. Crowns may sound great to you on your system with the music you like and be intolerable to the next guy. People will have opinions - some will love them for home audio, some will think they are atrocious. All these opinions mean squat. How does it sound to you on your system is the only thing that matters. If you love the sound and everybody thinks you're a dope for buying a Crown, well, that's just TFB. Listen to what you like.

You´ve opened a can of worms with that question ;)

Some say that all well built amps should sound the same if they are not over driven.

Others claim high end/expensive amps sound better.

I personally don´t think that you have to spend mega bucks on an amplifier to get good sound. Just my opinion.

Mind things like fans or connections.

The proper amp depends on the speakers, volume levels you like and what content you want to play and if you want to twiddle with the bass knob big time.

After that, figure out if you want to look at your amp or hide it.

Others claim high end/expensive amps sound better.

I personally don´t think that you have to spend mega bucks on an amplifier to get good sound. Just my opinion.
Well the two aren't mutually exclusive. I'd affirm that you can definitely get good sound on a limited budget. But I also have heard more expensive gear that does sound better

My early DC 300 A's, 150a's and Psa2's were great amps in many respects. They were poor with high frequencies, though. A DC 300 A above 10 Khz at 4 ohms was rather poor and worse at 3 ohms. All the Crowns we ever used in commercial installations had to be treated with extreme care as they had just the bare minimum heat sinks needed and their power supplies were just adequate. Later models the margins were even closer. Where Hif fi amps can put out 50 % more power for 40 milliseconds even Crown amps to day can only put out 10 to 20 % more than rated for a brief 10 milliseconds. Crown amps tend to be dry and hard sounding. Which is fine with PA systems with large heavy cones and HF drivers with limited HF output and heavy diaphragms that are well damped. Hook a Crown to a resonant HF driver is the combination can be rather austere and un pleasant. Hi fi amps have extended frequency range and more margins built in better units. Class D amps and amps with switching power supplies used in commercial service just don't work well in the home. I admit class D amps have improved tremendously, but if you take one home and put some time on it an then bring home a good traditional amp the listening experience is different. Whether its a positive experience is up to you. In my system I had 16 db of head room using my Crown amps above loud levels. 90 db at 16 ft. So over 30 years my only issue was getting the amps rebuilt every 10 years. I since gone back to Mac amps. My original headphone amp, MC 2505 is now 45 years old and except for cleaning of controls and switches is as new. My 2100's are still running according to a friend of mine. I suppose the 2200's are also. MY 207's and 206 are close to 10 years old and have yet to be touched. Yes they sound different than the 2100's , 2200.'s Crowns, and Mac tube amps. There is a freedom from HF distortion, more stable imaging, and voices and instruments don't drift between the speakers. Highs above 6 kHz are more pleasant and less fatiguing. The bass is now as good as with The Crowns with the replacement of the MX 119 and 120 with a MX 151. I blamed the bass issue on the Macs amps at first below 70 hz, but that just proves how wrong you can be.

A last comment about before a possible storm of amp sound "debates":

There are ultra great and "totally" crap sounding low budget, midfi, hifi, high-end, ultra high-end. Seriously.

Best bet, especially for speakers, is always "listen in your home".

I'm just here to comment on the Crown because I own that exact model. It's driving a pair of Renaissance 90's and it does it very well, it's quite, absolutely no fan noise as far as I can tell sends out exactly what my pre is giving it. It's a solid piece and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. Just a satisfied customer.

And I have that Crowns slightly older, slightly bigger model (which was discontinued when the XX02 models came out), the XLS 2000 driving my Infinity RS II's.
Happily driving them I might add even though the RS II's dip down very close to 2 ohms at some frequencies.

Thank you guys... this is not easy... buying stuff and returning is a PIA... listening at the store is not helpful either...
But Thanks!!!

Thank you guys... this is not easy... buying stuff and returning is a PIA... listening at the store is not helpful either...
But Thanks!!!

If the concept of using a pro amp interests you, often they can be rented for several days at relatively low cost. For example, around here you can get 5-day rental on XLS2502 for $35.

Last edited:
If you have a Guitar Center near you, you could buy one in person and return it in person if you didn't like it. My bet is you'll keep it. I started with a XLS 1500 and then went to a XLS 1502 because it looks better, has an onboard adjustable band pass, adjustable lighting, and selectable input sensitivity. All worthwhile features that most "home" amps don't offer. Plus it's built like a tank, weighs less than 10 lbs, and uses a tiny fraction of the energy a class A or A/B amp uses.

I did a blind test with other amps costing much more and I highly doubt anyone can consistently pick it out of a crowd. In fact, there's a guy on another forum that offered to have people blind test his XLS 1500 against his Parasound HCA-1000A (which is a highly respected, Nelson Pass design). EDIT: John Curl, not Nelson Pass. If they consistently picked one over the other, he would give them the Parasound. I don't know if anyone was able to take him up on the offer, but it's moot now. He sold the Parasound.

Bottom line: Most people who knock the sound of these amps haven't heard them.

Anyway, my opinion is added to the others above, but the only way you'll know for sure is if you try it yourself.

Last edited:
My early DC 300 A's, 150a's and Psa2's were great amps in many respects. They were poor with high frequencies, though. A DC 300 A above 10 Khz at 4 ohms was rather poor and worse at 3 ohms. All the Crowns we ever used in commercial installations had to be treated with extreme care as they had just the bare minimum heat sinks needed and their power supplies were just adequate. Later models the margins were even closer. Where Hif fi amps can put out 50 % more power for 40 milliseconds even Crown amps to day can only put out 10 to 20 % more than rated for a brief 10 milliseconds. Crown amps tend to be dry and hard sounding. Which is fine with PA systems with large heavy cones and HF drivers with limited HF output and heavy diaphragms that are well damped. Hook a Crown to a resonant HF driver is the combination can be rather austere and un pleasant. Hi fi amps have extended frequency range and more margins built in better units. Class D amps and amps with switching power supplies used in commercial service just don't work well in the home. I admit class D amps have improved tremendously, but if you take one home and put some time on it an then bring home a good traditional amp the listening experience is different. Whether its a positive experience is up to you. In my system I had 16 db of head room using my Crown amps above loud levels. 90 db at 16 ft. So over 30 years my only issue was getting the amps rebuilt every 10 years. I since gone back to Mac amps. My original headphone amp, MC 2505 is now 45 years old and except for cleaning of controls and switches is as new. My 2100's are still running according to a friend of mine. I suppose the 2200's are also. MY 207's and 206 are close to 10 years old and have yet to be touched. Yes they sound different than the 2100's , 2200.'s Crowns, and Mac tube amps. There is a freedom from HF distortion, more stable imaging, and voices and instruments don't drift between the speakers. Highs above 6 kHz are more pleasant and less fatiguing. The bass is now as good as with The Crowns with the replacement of the MX 119 and 120 with a MX 151. I blamed the bass issue on the Macs amps at first below 70 hz, but that just proves how wrong you can be.

The Crown XLS line is VERY different than Crown amps of yore. So much so that any comparison would be useless. They are much lighter, VERY stout (they have to be built to withstand a lot of road abuse), run incredibly cool, and they have gobs and gobs of headroom. Out of curiosity, (and with all due respect) have you heard the new XLS line?

Last edited:
Ok, so I am confused: Why is a Crown XLS 1502 rated at 300W/channel
so much less expensive than say... NAD C275BEE or Parasound 2250 or Halo A21? Is there that much of difference in sound quality?
That's a judgement call you would need to make.

I just happen to have replaced a NAD 326BEE integrated with a similar XLS1500 for the garage system. Each has its set of virtues:

The Crown is clearly the more powerful, runs cooler since it's a switcher and arguably has a better midrange response.
The NAD offers more in the way of controls and possesses a decidedly superior top end. With the Crown, the harmonics of instruments with upper octave content just slam into a brick wall and die - instead of delivering an open and natural sounding extension. Kinda "fat" sounding up top with little in the way of "air"

Both are decent Takes you pick!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom