Power Conditioner?

faber12

Addicted Member
I acquired a power conditioner, it is old and was used for a computer system. I fished it out of the dumpster at my work. I would like to know if I can expect any benefit from using it.

On the top it says "Three Stage Toroidal Power Conditioner With Common Mode Pi-Filter"

Brand is: Powervar
Model is: ABC600-11
IMAG0499.jpg IMAG0500.jpg IMAG0501.jpg
This thing has some weight to it, that is one Big toroid. :)

Is it worthwhile to try to use this device?

Whether it provides an improvement likely depends on your incoming power quality and the inherent noise rejection capability of your gear.

I've tried a couple different power conditioners and never noticed any difference. On the other hand, I'm not aware of any big problems with the AC quality so not detecting a difference in my case isn't surprising to me.

I have never noticed any problems with my AC supply, but I figured that it might make a difference. Apparently this is an old school way to condition power.

FWIW:
I bought a surge-x conditioner (similar to yours - very large toroid, plus Other Stuff) and wasn't really sure if it was helping or hurting the audio. Recently I bought a cheap LCD TV to use as a system monitor (only use it's audio outs for powered speakers, not the main system), and under certain conditions it not only generated noise, but was also picking up noise from my powerline LAN gear. When I plugged this TV into the Surge-X all that noise went away completely. Huh.
This may say more about EMI/RF protection circuitry in cheap TVs, but...still.....
I have very clean power in general, all feeds to the house are underground, and haven't experienced any issues during lightning storms or rare power outages, before or after adding the conditioner (though there's no way to know what the conditioner may have actually protected against.)

Power conditioners=Yes.
I have several incluing a Panamax to run the main and 3 Hospital surplus conditioners on the B and bedroom system.
They work well. You will know when one is fritzed.
Either noise in your system or a transformer buzz drives you crazy.
Power conditioners.
I can't think of confidently cranking tunes without one...

I own a pair and it would be worth repairing unless the problem exists in the toroid itself. The medical industry uses this brand of conditioner to protect their equipment. The higher amperage units will give off a slight hum, but it didn't bother me.
Apparently this is an old school way to condition power.
Not necessarily as similar units are currently in operation, additional information here on the capabilities: https://powervar.com/standard-power-conditioners/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom