Power conditioners

Picked up a "medical" power conditioner at an auction the other day.
Didn't cost much but I'm wondering if it's really going to make that much difference in my system....tonally that is. These are the specs:
input 120 vac-output 120vac VA rating 240va
Output current 2.0 amps (I guess I would have to use it with a preamp...not power amp)
Noise rejection-isolation a pulse applied either normal or common mode at the input, the noise output voltage will be less than10v normal mode and less than 0.5v common mode in all four quadrants cm-nm nm-nm cm-cm nm-cm
Surge voltage withstand cability Tested under power to ANSI/EEE c82.4%
category./ 0.5 mf sec. rise time 100khz decay category A 5000V/200A
0.5 mf sec. rise time 100khz decay category B 8000v/500A
voltage drop-no load/full load (looks like 9 per cent) Efficiency 90 percent
Duplex hospital grade wall mount. Load surge current (amps) 1/2 cycle=33
1 second =14 10 seconds=6
Any body understand this? Sorry, i'ts greek to me!!

I'm no electronic technician, but I'm a rock-hard firm believer in power conditioners. The medical ones are maybe better than the consumer ones for obvious reasons. I believe everyone should have a conditioner on their system like everyone should wear underwear. It's just good insurance. I know there are many, many who do not believe in conditioners. I don't care. I've used them all my life and NEVER had a problem with ANY of my gear; thru storms, brown-outs, black-outs, scorching summers, and cold winters, my gear runs perfectly while my neighbors have constant troubles with theirs.

I believe everyone should have a conditioner on their system like everyone should wear underwear. It's just good insurance. I know there are many, many who do not believe in conditioners. I don't care. I've used them all my life and NEVER had a problem with ANY of my gear; thru storms, brown-outs, black-outs, scorching summers, and cold winters, my gear runs perfectly while my neighbors have constant troubles with theirs.
I know nothing about these, but I have a surge protector that was installed on the entire house and I have cheap surge protectors on my components.

Would one of these still be of some benefit? I am more interested in how they clean up the signal and whether it will give me better sound and video images. Any opinions?

Having a "real" protector/conditioner at the box in your house is the way to go as it will clean up ALL current going to ALL outlets. However, if you don't have one of these installed, or don't need every outlet to be "cleaned", then a stand-alone unit is your next choice. There are many units out there in all price ranges, so you have to decide which one is right for your needs. A simple system requires a simple and inexpensive conditioner. A complex high-end system requires a bigger and more expensive unit.

BTW, a surge protector only prevents large amounts of current from damageing your equipment. A line conditioner will clean the AC line. A line regenerator will actually make AC to make up for under-voltages (short term, obviously. But that's all that's needed). Many to choose from.

Last edited:
I used to be uncertain about power conditioning until I found a Topaz medical power conditioner at SeaPac (a hamfest) for $10. I tried it out on my main system and didn't notice much of a difference. However, on my computer system (Marantz 3200 into a Pioneer SX-727 to a pair of Dynaco A-25s), it made a tremendous improvement in midrange clarity. I was startled at the difference esp. considering that I wasn't expecting any difference as I heard in my main system.

I think it certain situations where you might have something producing a lot of noise, such as a computer, a power conditioner is a wise investment if you find one for a reasonable price. I know I'll keep using this one in this system.

- JP

JimmyNeutron: Is that avatar of yours the new Cylon Centurions from new series? I've not seen it, but I was told that this was what they looked like.

Last edited:
Charivari said:
JimmyNeutron: Is that avatar of yours the new Cylon Centurions from new series? I've not seen it, but I was told that this was what they looked like.

That was an early scetch for the new cylon. The one in my avatar is the current Cylon for the show. BTW, the show totally rocks! You should check it out if you haven't. :thmbsp:

Ah, ok. Tell you the truth, the concept art looks more "badass" than the current iteration, but the latter works better from the concept of a robot society. I do wish I could see the series, I saw the premier and liked its take on the story better than the original series (heresy, I know). However, I'd have to pay 300% of what I pay monthly now (bargain basement channel package) to get the Sci-Fi channel, so I'll just try to find a friend with the series DVDs when they come out and have a marathon watching session.

- JP

The first series has hit the shelves. Time for that marathon. To tell the truth about the series (or to hijack this thread, sorry), I was majorly put off by the first episode, actually the whole series. I thought the producers forgot to remove the "human" equation from the movie, ie, telephones, lamps, cars (hummers, license plates, clocks, art, beds, etc. Then I was caught completelty off guard by the intellegent script, good acting, and great action and effects. I totally can forget about those human equations, it's that good of a series. I still ask myself why they let these things on the show. They're obvious things so I know that it was diliberate. Maybe it has something to do with the colony being offspring of the humans and the Earth - we think alike? Regardless, it's a very entertaining show that has me gripping my nails at the end of every episode and waiting for the next. Also, I grew up with the original series, and while at first I thought it was blasphemy for them to make the changes that they did (Starbuck a woman, Col. Tye a drunk, human looking Cylons), I now am glad in the direction they took. A major 5 vacuum tubes! ! ! ! !

BSG is hands down, the best drama on television right now. It is easily the best modern treatment of a sci-fi concept as well, and perhaps the FIRST show truly made for us adults.

Alright, now you guys really have me wanting to see this series. I wonder if Blockbuster or Hollywood Video or like businesses rent TV series DVDs?

We now return you to your previously scheduled power conditioners thread ...
- JP

rottydad2003 said:
Picked up a "medical" power conditioner at an auction the other day.
Didn't cost much but I'm wondering if it's really going to make that much difference in my system....tonally that is. These are the specs:
input 120 vac-output 120vac VA rating 240va
Output current 2.0 amps (I guess I would have to use it with a preamp...not power amp)
Noise rejection-isolation a pulse applied either normal or common mode at the input, the noise output voltage will be less than10v normal mode and less than 0.5v common mode in all four quadrants cm-nm nm-nm cm-cm nm-cm
Surge voltage withstand cability Tested under power to ANSI/EEE c82.4%
category./ 0.5 mf sec. rise time 100khz decay category A 5000V/200A
0.5 mf sec. rise time 100khz decay category B 8000v/500A
voltage drop-no load/full load (looks like 9 per cent) Efficiency 90 percent
Duplex hospital grade wall mount. Load surge current (amps) 1/2 cycle=33
1 second =14 10 seconds=6
Any body understand this? Sorry, i'ts greek to me!!

I don't buy into this power conditioner voodoo. I work in the electrical industry, and have a good understanding of power and ac current. Sure, if you want good steady voltage to make your amps transformer happy, then it's fine. But I can't believe it would make an audible difference when it's not in the audio chain. The ac cord feeds the primary windings of the power transformer which is separate from the secondary windings.

transd-2.jpg

PsychoAccoustics is a powerful thing. :yes:

Noise is introduced into the system and into the transformer not just by the AC cord, but also by EMI and RF noise that is rediated from the AC cords dangling next to all your low level wires. Also, in the equipments case, it's own transformers radiate RF and EMI interference, thus being picked up by the other components in the same case. A "line conditioner" helps to clean that interference from the AC cables BEFORE it enters your equipment. AC radiates noise - this is not voodoo. Line conditioners help to curb it. An AC surge supressor is not a line conditioner. Most people, however, confuse the two. Some line conditioners also have AC protection built in. A good reputable line conditioner will make a difference in your systems performance - how much depends on many things like 1) how revealing is your system, 2) how much noise your cables are generating, 3) how clean/dirty the AC line that runs into your house is, etc. A line conditioner is not for everyone, but then again niether is insurance. If you have a large investment in your equipment, then it would be a wise choice to invest in a quality line conditioner and/or AC supressor. My sister works for Allstate Insurance and I hear it all the time - "some persons stereo and tv got fried by lightning" or "Someoe's stereo got a surge and popped". Crazy, this never happened to me or anyone I know that has a quality line conditioner. Then again, do you think ALL hospitals use line conditioners because a salesmen told them patients would flatline less often? AC power is dirty, and it needs to be cleaned.

I've used a number of PLC's over the years with wildly varying degrees of results. Unfortunately, I found the more costly PLCs to have a greater effect than cheaper models. Thought not all of the "cheaper models" were cheap [API PowerWedge]. Buying used is the way to go. I also found that upgrading your wall outlet to be a great "bang for the buck" upgrade. Highly recommended. YMMV. MikE

At least I got the thread back on track. :yes: :banana: :smoke:

Line Conditioners keep equipment working through low voltage conditions (brownouts) without using an emergency power source such as a UPS system or auxiliary generator. Line Conditioners automatically adjust over- and undervoltages to provide safe, computer-grade AC power that meets ANSI C84.1 specifications.

Surge Suppressors are designed to be your equipment's best line of defense against damage due to surges, spikes, overvoltages and line noise. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and protection levels to perfectly match your application.

Lightning will get past any surge suppressor or line conditioner. if there's a direct strike. You're talking millions of volts.

I've had the same stereo for over 30 years. Always plugged it directly into the wall. Even played it during thunder storms. Never had a failure due to a voltage spike.
I've had numerous brown-outs during the years, and never had a failure. If we got an intense lightning storm, then I go around and unplug everything. If you get a direct strike, it can arc across switchs.

If you keep your patch cords away from your power cords you won't get a ground loop. :smoke:

Kerb said:
At least I got the thread back on track. :yes: :banana: :smoke:

Line Conditioners automatically adjust over- and undervoltages to provide safe, computer-grade AC power that meets ANSI C84.1 specifications.

......Actually no. A line conditioner is not an AC regenerator. A line conditioner will not generate any AC. What a line conditioner doea is "clean" the AC line from EMI and RF interference, among others.

Surge Suppressors are designed to be your equipment's best line of defense against damage due to surges, spikes, overvoltages and line noise. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and protection levels to perfectly match your application.

......This is true.

I've had the same stereo for over 30 years. Always plugged it directly into the wall. Even played it during thunder storms. Never had a failure due to a voltage spike.

......You are lucky. If you ask any insurance claims adjuster what is the number one cause of injury to the electronic components in a claim they will tell you it was a surge.

If you keep your patch cords away from your power cords you won't get a ground loop. :smoke:

......True, but do you know just how difficult that will be in complex systems? You should see the ass end of my HT system - It's 100% impossible to do that.

Power conditioners work if you have dirty or unstable power but what ever you have in your house I would recommend a good quality surge protector, during the last thunder/lightning storm my tripp lites were clicking like crazy.

JimmyNeutron said:

After looking at your system, I don't blame you for having all the protection you can buy. Nice system, and beautiful family. :thmbsp:

Kerb said:
After looking at your system, I don't blame you for having all the protection you can buy. Nice system, and beautiful family. :thmbsp:

Thanks Kerb. In the grand scheme of things owning a power conditioner/surge protector really is a wise investment. I mean you speand several thousands of dollars on the best equipment that you can affors, buy the best cables to connect the equipment with, make-over your living room into a small home theater. Why skimp on the AC power? We all know about surges, and spikes, and RF/EMI buzz. It really isin't all that expensive -regardless which way you go - at the fuse panel or component style. It's just good insurance. Besides, isin't part of this wonderful hobby about trying new and different kinds of equipment? :thmbsp:

See ya! ---Jimmy :D

Back
Top Bottom