1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Power Hungry speakers with au9900?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by G Tube, Jul 13, 2018.

1. G Tube

G Tube open your ears..

I was wondering if anyone has much experience with speakers rated around 86/87 dB running with an 80wpc au9900. I have a line on a great pair of speakers. Image concept 200. (API) but they are known to be a bit on the power hungry side. I have a smaller listening room. And I usually listen at low to moderate levels. With the occasional rock out haha.
    What have your experiences been with low efficient power hungry speakers on an au9900.
    Cheers

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

I am afraid I have only used efficient, or average sensitivity speakers with an AU-9900, the 80wpc rating is a conservative one, but I do not think it would be considered a 'high current' amplifier.

You may find this thread interesting
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/image-concept-200.217011/

And this
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/image-concept-200-loudspeaker-specifications

There may be other threads here on AK regarding your proposed speakers that I haven't found yet - recommend you do a search.

If it were me...............
    I'd probably get them, they'll at least sound OK with the power on offer from the AU-9900, then get a more powerful amplifier in the future. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    G Tube likes this.
  3. G Tube

G Tube open your ears..

Yeah I have been thinking if just getting them anyway because it is a really good deal. And they are fully rebuilt and come with spare tweeters. The only thing is I don't really have plans of changing amps anytime soon. I love love love my au9900. Looks and sonically

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Yeap, I know what you mean, I am not aware of a Sansui that has significantly more power than the AU-9900 and sounds the same. But hey, try the AU-9900... it may drive those speakers well enough for this not to be an issue. :thumbsup:

G Tube likes this.
  5. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I tried mine with a pair of Kef 103.2, and although acceptable, right on the margin. I did find it better than a Pioneer SA-9500 of the same timeframe, power, and design. And they both beat out a fully restored McIntosh MA-6200 with the Kef! I Believe the damping factor as the explanation.

G Tube likes this.
  6. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

And if not, you will have tried it. At least you will know. The key is to buy at a price you can sell it for.

G Tube likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.