Power Stroke Hobbyist?

jaymanaa

RIP 1961-2018
I say hobbyist because I don't think you can just buy one and drive it like a normal pick up. Seems like I've either been re-searching or wrenching on mine since I got it, but I sure wouldn't want to trade it, man what a truck. I had a funny thing happen the other day when a buddy and I were going way out in western KS to fish this supposedly incredible farmpond (we did catch a couple 4 pounders, and came home with plenty of crappie for a good meal). Back to the truck, we got about half way out there and noticed a burning oil kinda smell,so we pulled over to check it out. Turned out to be a crankcase ventilation pipe that hooks up right in front of the turbo (cold side of course). We got back on our way, but since then I've been thinking, there has to be a better place to get rid of those crankcase gasses. The way it is now is that old oily stuff goes over your clean impeller, through your flex hoses while degrading them, then onto, or into your intercooler. I know from working on air conditioning all my life, that a thin film of oil on the inside of a tube, has a very detrimental effect on heat transfer. Some folks with higher mileage vehicles have even reported getting gummy shit out of the bottom of their intercoolers. I'm getting ready to pull the catalytic converter (or particulate filter, whatever you want to call it) out of my exhaust system as well as the big stock Ford muffler. I have a big ols Stainless glass pack that's 4" diameter that will just fit in there with those other components gone. It has a 1/2 NPT fitting on each end for draining, and I'm thinking about hooking the crankcase ventilation right there via an inverted trap and spring check. Then it could only work like a jet pump, or sand blaster. I'm not planning any trips to Calli anytime soon. :)

I remember reading about that in Hot Rod magazine. People would hook their PCV tube to their header collectors. They thought it would increase horsepower. Hot Rod ran dyno tests, and concluded that it did not increase horsepower. They did say it had the potential to keep the engine cleaner on the intake side.

I've had worn out motors with enough blow-by that my air filters would become clogged with oil.

Jay what year is that again? 4WD?

2006 with the FX4 Off Road and XLT interior packages. It's also got a 2 inch lift and big tall knobby tires. When I drove it home, I just stepped out of it like I'd been stepping out of trucks all my life and ended up doing a face plant. I could see my wife trying desperately not to bust out in laughter. You really do have to use the Nerf bars and the oh shit handle to get inside. This seems to be a lot like my 85 Chevy diesel; if you don't do the maintenance on time and meticulously, they can grenade on ya. Now that I'm retired though, I think it's gonna be fun keeping her alive. On the blow by, I can pull the oil cap when it's running and there doesn't seem to be any at all. I need to get it out down by he river bed and do a little 4 wheeling. I was a Jeep nut in a former life and always had a blast until I got stuck. I'm thinking of installing a winch on this one, does anyone know which ones are best. Seems like I've heard the name "Warn" thrown around quite a bit.

I remember reading about that in Hot Rod magazine. People would hook their PCV tube to their header collectors. They thought it would increase horsepower. Hot Rod ran dyno tests, and concluded that it did not increase horsepower. They did say it had the potential to keep the engine cleaner on the intake side.

I've had worn out motors with enough blow-by that my air filters would become clogged with oil.
It's got more power than I'll ever need, so that's not the issue really, I'd just like to keep things on the air intake side as clean as possible ,ya know. I figure after I do the conversion, I'll pull the intercooler and wash it out with a good degreaser (maybe fill it up and let it soak overnight) and then a power washer hooked up to hot water. Then blow it out real good with air untilI I'm sure it's dry. I'm planning on changing the flexible hoses anyway, man they sure are proud of those things. I'm thinking about taking the 2 inch lift out, and putting an 8 inch in, big difference there is you have to find a good drive shaft shop for new tubes and balancing. I'll have to think on that one for awhile, but it sure does get you some clearance.

That's funnier every time I read it. Maybe a quick ring job and some STP? :)

That's funnier every time I read it. Maybe a quick ring job and some STP? :)
I have five vehicles tagged and insured. Only my '88 Festiva has a blow-by issue. I vented the motor with a little air cleaner on the valve cover. I have a re-buildable core motor waiting, but I don't know if I'll get around to doing the rebuild.

I hope to make it to one of your audio meets someday. I still work in Gardner.

Peace Out .

I wouldn't say the blowby is excessive by any means, I just don't like the fact of it going through my intercooler and coating the tubes with oil which acts like insulation. I'm getting ready to do my winter time radiator flush, and I think I'll pop the intercooler out, it's real easy to pull. Then I could rinse it all out with alcohol or something, and address the issue of where to inject these gases. I could just run a pipe down under the engine and let her blow.

I'm tracking you. I think it's a great idea. If you're into 'rolling coal', this might the cloud even bigger.

I'm razzin' you. This cracks me up.

I'm kidding, the crankcase fumes wouldn't even be noticed.

Last edited:
They must turn their pumps way up and or even change injectors. Neither of my trucks have ever smoked, not at start up, and not if I floor it?

Jay, that's the 6.0 engine, right?

Got a client here, who bought one of the older ones- an extra-cab long-bed 4x4 with the 7.3 Powerstroke. For like, $750. And drove it home.
:eek2:

Now, THAT'S a nearly indestructible vehicle.

Regards,
Gordon.

I wouldn't say the blowby is excessive by any means, I just don't like the fact of it going through my intercooler and coating the tubes with oil which acts like insulation. I'm getting ready to do my winter time radiator flush, and I think I'll pop the intercooler out, it's real easy to pull. Then I could rinse it all out with alcohol or something, and address the issue of where to inject these gases. I could just run a pipe down under the engine and let her blow.

Jay- one idea, is like what the people with the Ecoboost engines are doing, when they have intake-coking issues- they're putting an oil "catch can" into the PCV line, so that any liquid oil gets trapped and returned to the crankcase. If you did that, it wouldn't matter if the remaining vapor went into the turbo.

Regards,
Gordon.

Been using 7.3 Powerstroke trucks since 2005, currently on 2nd unit. First one was fine just wanted a 4wd and crew cab. Love the power and reliability of these things. No more maintenance really for me than what I was used to. Just keep up with maintenance and you are good to go. 7.3 most bulletproof of em all I think.

Jay- one idea, is like what the people with the Ecoboost engines are doing, when they have intake-coking issues- they're putting an oil "catch can" into the PCV line, so that any liquid oil gets trapped and returned to the crankcase. If you did that, it wouldn't matter if the remaining vapor went into the turbo.

Regards,
Gordon.
That's a good idea, sort of a trap, I could even use a small centrifugal type refrigertion oil seperator. The gas enters the top and they have like a ccork screw in there that slings the oil to the side where it flows down to the bottom.

What kind of boost can you get out of the 7.3, I can't seem to make over 30psi which may be fine. Man, I had to put a DEA chip in my Grand National (the DEA bought a lot of them) to get 19 in first gear before the waste gate started to open, 17 in second, 15 in 3rd and OD.
This truck says 100 miles per hour on the speedo, but I've caught myself just cruising don the highway at 85 or so. I imagine it would bury the speedo no problem, esp. with the tall tires I have.

Been using 7.3 Powerstroke trucks since 2005, currently on 2nd unit. First one was fine just wanted a 4wd and crew cab. Love the power and reliability of these things. No more maintenance really for me than what I was used to. Just keep up with maintenance and you are good to go. 7.3 most bulletproof of em all I think.

I think this guy probably knows as much about these trucks as anyone. His how to videos that center around correctly doing maintenance are fabulous.

The truck my client bought with the 7.3, is normally aspirated. Not a rocketship by any stretch of the imagination- but if you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST GET THERE, it will do it.

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom