Power supply filter caps Nichicons vs Cornell Dubilier

Zekeman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello I've researched that the cost of a Nichicons super through KG 15,000 µF 80 V filter capacitor is significantly higher than that of say a Cornell Dubilier 380 LX series capacitor. I understand the ripple current and ESR are the key factors but is the nichicon really that much better?

Last edited:
The Nichicon's are going to be solder-tab, whereas the CD's are snap-in, therefore placing the Nichicon's a bit higher on the 'build quality' scale. So it's not so much a Nichicon vs CD thing as it is a solder-tab vs snap-in thing.

Are they equivalent in performance and capability in the application of the filter cap? Ripple...ESR?

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but I have data to answer.
I have both of the following on hand, and have measured their ESR:

CD 10,000uF 63V 380LX103M063A042
ESR @ 100KHz measured: 0.032 ohms

Nichicon Super Through 10,000uF 50V
ESR @100KHz measured: 0.020 ohms

I wouldn't flinch at either. Both are very good capacitors with good specs. The Cornell Dubiliers were 1/4 the price of the Nichicons.

Last edited:
I bought the Nichicons for my Pioneer SA-7500, mainly because it is a high quality cap that fits the original 40mm clamps.

You might also want to consider Nippon Chemi-Con when searching for caps, a lot of manufacturers used these originally.

Lee.

Hmm Nippon's FTP series is oval shaped. for those sansui's, will they work for the 919 and g9000?

Back
Top Bottom