Power switch arcing on SX-650 - damaging?

dave_bullet

I've been told that it's the power switch on my SX-650 that's causing the buzzing / intermittent power / light flickering at power up. It settles after about 20 seconds (worse when cold).

I've read that the only real fix is a replacement switch (ASA-039). I'm not experienced enough to pull it apart with confidence and believe from what I've read a contact clean won't do much.

My question is, is it "bad" for the rest of the components of the receiver whilst it arcs? If I don't get it fixed - will the arcing shorten the life of something else?

Thanks,
Dave.

Thanks for that. Mine isn't burping, but if the indigestion gets worse, it could could start burping - or worse.....

DAve.

My SX-737 has the same problem. Has anybody a source for a new powerswicht that fits? Maybe somwhere in europe?

Agger :scratch2:

Agger, that's why I replaced the switch with something else... new ones aren't available anywhere at any cost.

Dave, please note that the posts I directed you to were mainly about replacing the present powerswitch with another one more commonly available in a parts box instead of a genuine Pioneer part. I don't know if resale is a considerarion for you. For me, it wasn't, but just a way to keep my 450 running til it wouldn't run any more.

Sorry for delay in reply. Illness.

Tom

If it works good once it's been on awhile.......Why not just leave it on all the time? :scratch2:

Good point. Or use a power bar to switch it on and off? Should have thought of this my own self. D'oh!

Tom

Before replacing the power switch, check the rating of the switched outlet. If you have other components connected, you may be drawing more current than the power switch is rated for. Either that or the switch just went bad. Arcing happens on the "break" (when the set is turned off) not on the make (when the set is turned on). Also, check that the capacitor/resistor is connected and that it's value is as stated. That's the spark killer.

Ron

Ron

I total agree with Ron, he has pointed out a very good point. check out the spark killer capacitor which intalled in parallel to the power switch, or the switched power outlets has been over-loaded..cause damaged the power switch.

Back
Top Bottom